The Dallas Mavericks (13-26) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they challenge the Chicago Bulls (13-25). Dallas is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Chicago Bulls at Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview
The Bulls were beaten by the Toronto Raptors in their last outing, 124-115. Chicago’s Lauri Markkanen finished with 22 points and 12 rebounds in the game. Toronto did a great job of converting from the free throw line (19-19; 100.0 percent). Chicago, on the other hand, held the Raptors to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 22.9).
The last time the Mavericks played, they were defeated by the Golden State Warriors, 125-122. With 21 points and eight rebounds, Dwight Powell had a good performance for Dallas. Golden State had a better offensive rebounding percentage (17.5 vs. 15.2). Dallas, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.7 vs. 12.4).
Dallas could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. Dallas ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.8 percent), while Chicago forces the fewest turnovers (12.2 percent). Furthermore, put-back points figure to be tough to come by for the Bulls. They rank 23rd in the NBA in offensive rebounding percentage at 20.1 percent, while the Mavericks are fourth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 79.8 percent).
Of Chicago’s 38 games, 21 have finished over the O/U total, while 20 of Dallas 39 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have poor straight up (SU) records (13-25 for Chicago; 13-26 for Dallas), but the Bulls hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Chicago is 21-14-3 ATS, while the Mavericks are 20-19.
Dirk Nowitzki has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 15.4 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Mavericks won both meetings last season. In the most recent contest, Dallas won 99-98. Dallas effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Chicago. The Mavericks had a rate of 0.545 while the Bulls posted a mark of 0.488.
Chicago Bulls at Dallas Mavericks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while the Bulls rank 16th (16.5).
- Chicago ranks 23rd in second chance points per game (10.9) while Dallas ranks 29th (9.6).
- Chicago ranks 17th in fast break points allowed per game (11.3) while Dallas ranks 29th (14.9).
- Neither of these teams are great at blocking the ball. Dallas is 25th in the league with 3.8 blocks per game while Chicago is 27th with 3.6 blocks per game.
- Chicago is 11-7-1 ATS on the road with 13 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Dallas is 10-10 ATS with 10 unders, 9 overs and 1 push.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Dallas is 10-8 and Chicago is 5-5.
- When reaching 100 points, the Bulls are 11-10 and the Mavericks are 8-11.
- The Bulls rank fifth in assists per game (23.7) while the Mavericks rank 17th (22.4).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.7) while Chicago ranks 21st (45.4).
- The Mavericks rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.2) while the Bulls rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.2).
- The Bulls rank 24th in steals per game (6.9) while the Mavericks rank 27th (6.6).
- Chicago ranks seventh in rebounds per game (45.1) while Dallas ranks 25th (40.7).
- Dallas is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chicago is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Dallas has been defeated by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 111.2 points per game (9.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (4.2 above their season average).