The New Orleans Pelicans (4-6) welcome the Chicago Bulls (3-8) to Smoothie King Center. The Pelicans are 10.5-point favorites and will try to put an end to their six-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 230.5 points and it will air on NBC Sports Chicago at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 7, 2018.
Chicago Bulls vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
In the Bulls’ last outing, they barely escaped the New York Knicks, 116-115, despite being 2.5-point underdogs. The Pelicans, on the other hand, were topped by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 122-116, and were unable to cover as 3.5-point underdogs. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Chicago game went 18 points over the projected point total of 213, while the New Orleans game finished 2.5 points over the projected point total of 235.5.
Chicago’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over New York. The Bulls had a rate of 0.495 (below their season average of 0.525), while the Knicks posted a mark of 0.420 (below their season average of 0.496). New Orleans, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (25-30; 83.3 percent). Jrue Holiday had a solid outing for New Orleans with 22 points and 14 assists. Chicago rallied around Zach LaVine, who recorded 41 points.
The Pelicans dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last game, New Orleans won 132-128. New Orleans had a much better turnover percentage (9.5 vs. 18.3). Chicago, on the other hand, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (30-34; 88.2 percent). This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Bulls games, with 6 unders compared to 5 overs. Although Chicago has a difficult time winning games straight up (3-8 SU), they are 7-4 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Pelicans’ 10 games, 6 have finished over the total. Further, New Orleans owns records of 4-6 SU and 4-6 ATS.
The Bulls’ Wendell Carter Jr. has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 15.6 points, 9.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals per game. Meanwhile, Holiday has averaged 21.6 points, 8.4 assists and 1.4 steals during that same time frame for the Pelicans.
The productive offense of New Orleans (seventh in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 110.7) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Chicago (24th in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 111.2). The Pelicans should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Bulls vs. Pelicans Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans average 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 15th in the league. The Bulls rank 20th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- New Orleans ranks ninth in second chance points per game (14.7) while Chicago ranks 27th (9.4).
- The Pelicans rank 11th in rebounds per game (46.3) while the Bulls rank 26th (41.8).
- New Orleans ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (31.7) while Chicago ranks 25th (35.9).
- New Orleans ranks 19th in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while Chicago ranks 26th (14.3).
- The Bulls rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (44.9) while the Pelicans rank 25th (53.4).
- The Pelicans average 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. The Bulls rank 23rd in blocks allowed per game (6.7).
- Chicago ranks 22nd in fast break points per game (11.5) while New Orleans ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (16.4).
- New Orleans averages 26.2 assists per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Chicago ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- When allowing under 100 points, Chicago is 1-1.
- The Bulls are 2-7 when they score more than 100 points, while the Pelicans are 4-5.
- Chicago is 2-3 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 2-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 2 of the Pelicans’ 4 home games, while 3 of the Bulls’ 5 road games have gone over.
- The Bulls are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Chicago has 3 unders and 2 overs, while New Orleans has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bulls’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.0, matching their season average.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 112.4 points per game (6.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 122.0 points per game (1.3 above their season average).