The Chattanooga Mocs (5-6) will attempt to end their five-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (8-3), who look to extend their five-game home winning streak. Jacksonville State opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 128.5 points. Action starts at 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Chattanooga Mocs vs. Jacksonville State Gamecocks Free Preview
The last time the Mocs played, they fell to the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, 82-76. James Lewis Jr. had a good performance for Chattanooga, finishing with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Tennessee Tech forced the Mocs into a turnover percentage of 23.4 (above their season average of 19.4). Chattanooga, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (23-30; 76.7 percent).
The Gamecocks come in on a high note after narrowly defeating the Howard Bison in their last contest, 62-60. With 14 points on 4-for-11 shooting, Jason Burnell was Jacksonville State’s leading scorer. The Gamecocks made 17 of their 21 free throws (81.0 percent), while the Bison had a turnover percentage of 21.1 (above their season average of 16.5).
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the nations slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Jacksonville State currently ranks 257th in possessions per game (68.9) and Chattanooga is 259th (68.8).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Chattanooga have gone under 71.4 percent of the time, while Jacksonville State games have gone over 66.7 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Gamecocks have a significant advantage. They are 8-3 SU and 5-1 ATS, while the Mocs are 5-6 SU and 4-2-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The Gamecocks won 77-75. Jacksonville State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (45.2 vs. 20.0). Chattanooga, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (17-24; 70.8 percent). Despite the loss, Makinde London had a standout performance with 23 points and six rebounds.
Chattanooga Mocs at Jacksonville State Gamecocks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jacksonville State, ATS Winner – Chattanooga, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 134th in steals per game (6.1) while the Mocs rank 155th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Jacksonville State allows the 41st-fewest rebounds per game (31.8) while Chattanooga ranks 51st (32.3).
- On the road, Chattanooga is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Jacksonville State is 2-0 ATS at home with 1 over and 1 under.
- Chattanooga ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (16.2) while Jacksonville State ranks 213th (24.6).
- The Gamecocks rank 25th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Mocs rank 191st (1.9).
- Jacksonville State ranks 41st in assists per game (16.5) while Chattanooga ranks 132nd (13.9).
- Jacksonville State is 3-0 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chattanooga is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Gamecocks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, down from 14.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mocs have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (3.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (1.1 above their season average).