The Sacramento Kings (12-24) will be at home in Golden 1 Center when they clash with the Charlotte Hornets (13-23). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 206 points with Charlotte opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports – California.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Sacramento Kings Betting Preview
In the Hornets last game, they were beaten by the Los Angeles Clippers, 106-98. With 30 points on 11-for-21 shooting, Kemba Walker was Charlotte’s leading scorer. Los Angeles did a great job of converting from the free throw line (24-27; 88.9 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4 (above their season average of 23.0).
The Kings are hoping for a better outcome after their 114-96 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies in their last outing. Willie Cauley-Stein was Sacramento’s high scorer with 21 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Memphis did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (18-24; 75.0 percent). Sacramento, on the other hand, held the Grizzlies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below the 24.4 mark opponents have averaged against Sacramento this season).
Second-chance opportunities might be few and far between for Sacramento in this meeting. The Kings are among the leagues elite on the offensive glass, ranking 20th in offensive rebounding percentage at 21.5 percent. Meanwhile, Charlotte ranks first in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 81.7 percent.
Of Charlotte’s 36 games, 20 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Sacramento’s 36 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (13-23 for Charlotte; 12-24 for Sacramento), but the Kings have the edge against the spread (ATS). Sacramento is 15-18-3 ATS, while the Hornets are 13-19-4.
Cauley-Stein has been impressive over the last five games for Sacramento, averaging 16.0 points and 9.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hornets won the most recent contest 99-85. The Hornets played a perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9 and a solid turnover percentage of 9.7. For those same stats, the Kings recorded marks of 19.6 and 14.1, respectively.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Sacramento Kings Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 19th in points off turnovers per game (15.8) while the Kings rank 27th (14.6).
- Charlotte ranks 24th in fast break points per game (9.1) while Sacramento ranks 25th (9.0).
- Charlotte ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (25.1) while Sacramento ranks 29th (22.6).
- Charlotte is 4-9-3 ATS on the road with 8 unders, 7 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Sacramento is 8-8 ATS with 8 overs and 8 unders.
- Charlotte is 6-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Sacramento is 7-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Kings are 8-5 and the Hornets are 13-9.
- The Kings are 26th in the NBA with 20.8 assists per game while the Hornets are 28th with 20.6 assists per game.
- Charlotte ranks second in rebounds per game (46.8) while Sacramento ranks 28th (39.9).
- The Kings rank 11th in steals per game (8.0) while the Hornets rank 29th (6.5).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.5) while Sacramento ranks 16th (12.3).
- Sacramento is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 1-2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Kings average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 8.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 103.0 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.6 points per game (1.6 below their season average).