The Portland Trail Blazers (25-17) will be 6.5-point favorites at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they take on the Charlotte Hornets (19-21). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 223 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina at 10 p.m. ET on Friday, January 11, 2019.
Charlotte Hornets at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Odds
In the Trail Blazers’ previous game, they covered the 9.5-point spread against the Chicago Bulls, 124-112. The Hornets, on the other hand, were blown out by the Los Angeles Clippers, 128-109, and failed to cover as 6-point underdogs. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Portland game finished 26.5 points over the projected point total of 209.5, while the Charlotte game finished 5 points over the projected point total of 232.
The Trail Blazers knocked down 19 of their 21 free throws (90.5 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.515). Charlotte, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (25-29; 86.2 percent). Portland’s Damian Lillard had a solid performance, putting up 16 points and 10 assists. Meanwhile, Malik Monk was a key piece for Charlotte with 24 points.
The Trail Blazers dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent game, Portland won 109-103. The Trail Blazers’ 19.6 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Hornets, who had a mark of 12.7. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
Vegas has a tendency to place the total low when the Hornets are involved, as 57.5 percent of their contests have ended over the total. Charlotte heads into the contest with records of 19-21 straight up (SU) and 20-20 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Charlotte, Trail Blazers games tend to finish under the projected point total (57.1 percent). Additionally, Portland owns records of 25-17 SU and 21-21 ATS.
Jusuf Nurkic has been superb as of late for Portland, averaging 21 points,12.2 rebounds,1.8 steals,1.4 blocks over the last five games.
The offensive glass could be a major advantage for Portland in this battle. The Trail Blazers rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.1 percent), while Charlotte ranks 17th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.8 percent). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Hornets. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 11.7 percent). Conversely, the Trail Blazers force the first-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 11.8 percent).
Charlotte Hornets at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets average 11.3 fast break points per game, which ranks 21st in the league. The Trail Blazers rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (14.9).
- Portland ranks third in rebounds per game (48.4) while Charlotte ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (46.3).
- The Trail Blazers rank 11th in three pointers allowed per game (30.3) while the Hornets rank 28th (34.0).
- Portland ranks sixth in second chance points per game (14.6) while Charlotte ranks 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- Charlotte ranks 21st in steals per game (7.3) while Portland ranks 28th (6.6).
- The Hornets rank 10th in points off turnovers per game (17.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (14.1).
- The Trail Blazers average 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 19th in the NBA. The Hornets rank 29th in blocks allowed per game (6.7).
- Portland ranks ninth in assists allowed per game (23.5) while Charlotte ranks 27th (25.8).
- When allowing below 100 points, Charlotte is 6-0 and Portland is 7-1.
- When reaching 100 points, the Hornets are 18-19 and the Trail Blazers are 24-12.
- Portland is 14-10 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 8-10 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Hornets’ 18 road games, while 15 of the Trail Blazers’ 24 home games have gone under.
- The Trail Blazers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Hornets are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Portland has 4 unders and 1 over, while Charlotte has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 113.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (3.4 below their season average).
- The Hornets have been outscored by an average of 7.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Charlotte has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.