The Phoenix Suns (18-35) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they meet the Charlotte Hornets (22-29). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 219 points with Charlotte set as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 4, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets at Phoenix Suns Betting Preview
In the Hornets last outing, they were victorious over the Indiana Pacers, 133-126. Kemba Walker was the games leading scorer with 41 points on 11-for-22 shooting. Charlotte dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (above their season average of 23.0) and a free throw rate of 0.361 (above their season average of 0.230). For those same stats, Indiana was 17.9 and 0.299, respectively.
The Suns are hoping for a better outcome after their 129-97 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last outing. With 16 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Phoenix’s Dragan Bender put together a good performance. Utah had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7 (above their season average of 20.0). Phoenix, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (16-19; 84.2 percent).
Charlotte should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Charlotte ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.5 percent), while Phoenix forces the third-fewest turnovers (12.9 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 51 games, 26 have finished under the O/U total, while 27 of Phoenix’s 53 games have finished under the O/U total. The Hornets have the superior straight up (SU) record (22-29 vs. 18-35), but the Suns hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (25-26-2 vs. 21-26-4).
Dwight Howard has taken his game to another level recently for Charlotte, averaging 20.4 points, 14.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hornets won the most recent contest 120-106. The Hornets played a flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.7 and a solid free throw rate of 0.253. The Suns were 11.7 and 0.222, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte Hornets at Phoenix Suns Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Hornets average 46.3 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the league. The Suns rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (44.8).
- Charlotte averages 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Charlotte ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (9.7) while Phoenix ranks 21st (13.1).
- Phoenix is 25th in the league with 21.0 assists per game while Charlotte is 27th with 20.8 assists per game.
- Phoenix is 10-16-1 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 8-11-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Hornets’ 22 road games, while 15 of the Suns’ 27 home games have gone under.
- Charlotte is 8-3 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Phoenix is 6-2.
- The Suns are 14-21 when they reach the century mark, while the Hornets are 21-11.
- The Hornets rank 13th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.2) while the Suns rank 27th (47.4).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Phoenix ranks 28th (8.8).
- The Hornets rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the Suns rank 27th (18.9).
- The Suns rank 19th in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while the Hornets rank 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.6).
- Charlotte ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.5) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.5).
- Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.4, up from 7.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 112.8 points per game (6.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (3.2 above their season average).