The Charlotte Hornets (6-5) and their sensational offense head to Philadelphia as 5-point underdogs to play the 76ers (7-5) and their exceptional defense. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 225 points and it will air on NBATV at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Philadelphia 76ers Betting Odds
In the 76ers’ previous matchup, they were victorious over the Indiana Pacers, 100-94, despite being 2.5-point underdogs. The Hornets, on the other hand, beat the Atlanta Hawks, 113-102, but were not able to cover as 11.5-point favorites. The Philadelphia game finished 23 points under the projected point total of 217, while the Charlotte game went 17.5 points under the projected point total of 232.5.
Charlotte dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.1 (below their season average of 23.7) and a turnover percentage of 17.4 (worse than their season average of 10.6). Atlanta was 16.7 and 19.1, respectively, for those same stats. The 76ers, on the other hand, knocked down 18 of their 22 free throws (81.8 percent) and held the Pacers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.436 (below their season average of 0.543). Ben Simmons had a good performance for Philadelphia with 16 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. Kemba Walker, meanwhile had a good outing for Charlotte, finishing with 29 points and seven assists.
In their first matchup this season, Joel Embiid led the 76ers to a 105-103 victory. He recorded a double-double with 27 points and 15 rebounds. Philadelphia was unable to cover as an 8-point favorite and the two teams combined to put up 208 points, which was well under the projected point total of 231. Philadelphia out-rebounded Charlotte. The 76ers had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. nine), defensive rebounds (42 vs. 39) and total rebounds (56 vs. 48).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Hornets games, with 6 unders compared to 5 overs. Charlotte comes into the contest with records of 6-5 straight up (SU) and 7-4 against the spread (ATS).
There does not appear to be a trend for 76ers games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Moreover, Philadelphia is 7-5 SU and 5-7 ATS.
This game should be a matchup of opposite tempos. Philadelphia has preferred an up-and-down style of play (eighth in possessions per game), while Charlotte has been more half-court-oriented (18th in possessions per game). Also, the Hornets’ fifth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 112.0) will clash against the 76ers’ fifth-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 102.5).
Hornets vs. 76ers Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- Charlotte ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while Philadelphia ranks 21st (14.7).
- The Hornets average 34.4 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The 76ers rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (32.2).
- Charlotte averages 49.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Philadelphia ranks 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (49.8).
- Philadelphia ranks fifth in assists per game (25.7) while Charlotte ranks eighth (25.3).
- The Hornets rank sixth in points off turnovers per game (20.1) while the 76ers rank 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- The 76ers rank fifth in rebounds per game (49.1) while the Hornets rank 15th (44.9).
- Charlotte averages 6.5 blocks per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Philadelphia ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- Philadelphia is 3-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Charlotte is 2-0.
- The Hornets are 6-5 when they reach 100 points, while the 76ers are 7-3.
- Philadelphia is 4-2 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 3-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the 76ers’ 6 home games, while 3 of the Hornets’ 5 road games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Charlotte and Philadelphia are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Hornets have 4 unders and 1 over over their last five games, while the 76ers have 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 114.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average).
- The 76ers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.4, up from 0.7 for the season.