The Philadelphia 76ers (33-27) look to extend a 10-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the Charlotte Hornets (28-34) at Wells Fargo Center. Philadelphia opened as a 3.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 216 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, March 2, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets at Philadelphia 76ers Betting Preview
The Hornets were blown out by the Boston Celtics in their last contest, 134-106. Charlotte’s Kemba Walker put together a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting. Boston had an effective field goal percentage of 0.690 (above their season average of 0.516). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (6.5 vs. 9.7).
In the 76ers’ last matchup, they defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 108-97. Joel Embiid played well for Philadelphia, putting up 17 points, 14 rebounds and six assists. Philadelphia dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 25.7) and a free throw rate of 0.200 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Cleveland was 20.0 and 0.184, respectively.
Philadelphia could have their way on defense as they face off against one of the worst offenses in the NBA. The 76ers rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.494), while Charlotte is 27th in effective field goal percentage (0.503). The Hornets should have an advantage in terms of ball security. They rank 3rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent). Conversely, the 76ers force the ninth-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 13.5 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 62 games, 31 have finished over the O/U total, while 30 of Philadelphia’s 59 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the 76ers have a clear advantage. They are 33-27 SU and 33-26 ATS, while the Hornets are 28-34 SU and 25-33-4 ATS.
Nicolas Batum has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 11.4 points, 8.6 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the 76ers won two out of three games last season. In the last contest, Philadelphia won 105-99. Philadelphia won the rebounding battle. The 76ers had nine offensive rebounds and 51 total rebounds, while the Hornets had three and 33, respectively.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Philadelphia 76ers Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (10.0) while the 76ers rank 19th (12.8).
- Charlotte ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while Philadelphia ranks 25th (5.4).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (46.9) while Charlotte ranks 17th in rebounds allowed per game (43.2).
- Philadelphia ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (28.9) while Charlotte ranks 17th in three pointers allowed per game (29.7).
- Charlotte is 9-17-3 ATS on the road, while Philadelphia is 19-9 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 15 of the Hornets’ 29 road games, while 15 of the 76ers’ 28 home games have gone under.
- Philadelphia is 14-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Charlotte is 10-3.
- The 76ers are 30-17 when they score more than 100 points, while the Hornets are 27-15.
- The 76ers rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (41.1) while the Hornets rank 14th (44.1).
- Charlotte ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while Philadelphia ranks last (19.3).
- The Hornets rank second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while the 76ers rank 29th (8.8).
- The 76ers rank 20th in fast break points per game (10.0) while the Hornets rank 26th (9.3).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.6) while Charlotte ranks 23rd (21.4).
- Philadelphia is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The 76ers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 114.2 points per game (7.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.2 points per game (0.5 above their season average).