Southeast Division foes will clash when the Orlando Magic (18-38) go head-to-head with the Charlotte Hornets (23-33) at Amway Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 213 points with Charlotte set as a 5.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Charlotte Hornets at Orlando Magic Odds Preview
The Hornets were blown out by the Toronto Raptors in their last game, 123-103. Charlotte’s Dwight Howard recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Toronto made 18 of their 37 three pointers (48.6 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (17-23; 73.9 percent).
The last time the Magic played, they were dismantled by the Chicago Bulls, 105-101. Mario Hezonja was the games leading scorer with 24 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Chicago had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (above their season average of 19.8). Orlando, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 10.2).
Second-chance points might be scarce for Orlando in this battle. The Magic currently rank 24th in offensive rebounding percentage (20.6 percent), while Charlotte ranks first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.6 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 56 games, 28 have finished over the O/U total, while 31 of Orlando’s 56 games have finished under the projected point total. The Hornets hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (23-33 vs. 18-38), but the Magic have been superior against the spread (ATS) (26-29-1 vs. 21-31-4).
Hezonja has really been playing well over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 15.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Hornets winning both. In the most recent contest, Kemba Walker scored a game-high 29 points and the Hornets defeated the Magic 104-94, covering as 7.5-point favorites. He also put up seven assists. The two teams combined for 198 points, which was 20.5 points below the projected point total of 218.5 points. The Hornets played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.393 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.9. The Magic were 0.146 and 10.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Orlando Magic Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Magic, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.8) while the Magic rank 18th (12.9Orlando ranks 12th in fast break points per game (12.8) while Charlotte ranks 27th (9.1).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.6) while Orlando ranks 17th (7.8).
- Orlando ranks 14th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while Charlotte ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.9).
- Charlotte is 8-15-3 ATS on the road with 13 overs, 12 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Orlando is 10-16 ATS with 16 unders and 10 overs.
- Orlando is 9-3 when they allow less than 100 points, while Charlotte is 8-3.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Hornets are 22-14 and the Magic are 18-21.
- The Hornets rank 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.9) while the Magic rank 29th (49.5).
- Charlotte averages 45.7 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Orlando ranks 28th in rebounds allowed per game (45.4).
- The Hornets rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while the Magic rank 21st (17.1).
- The Magic average 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the league. The Hornets rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Orlando ranks 10th in assists per game (23.3) while Charlotte ranks 28th (20.8).
- Orlando is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 0-5 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Magic have outscored opponents by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Orlando has lost by an average of 4.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 103.8 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.8 points per game (7.1 above their season average).