The New Orleans Pelicans (38-28) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they go head-to-head against the Charlotte Hornets (29-38). New Orleans is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 230 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Charlotte Hornets at New Orleans Pelicans Odds Preview
In the Hornets’ last outing, they were victorious over the Phoenix Suns, 122-115. Dwight Howard was the game’s high scorer with 30 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Charlotte played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.241 (above their season average of 0.227) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 22.3). Phoenix put up marks of 0.157 and 12.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The Pelicans are trying to rebound after their 116-99 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last matchup. With 25 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocks, Anthony Davis led the way for New Orleans with his zeroth triple-double this year. Utah did a fantastic job of making free throws (24-25; 96.0 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.6 vs. 12.3).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, New Orleans should have a significant edge. The sweet-shooting Pelicans offense ranks fourth in the league in that metric at 0.542, while the suspect Charlotte defense is ranked 24th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.534). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Hornets. They rank 2nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent). Conversely, the Pelicans force the seventh-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 13.3 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 67 games, 34 have finished over the projected point total, while 41 of New Orleans’ 66 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pelicans hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 38-28 SU and 36-30 ATS, while the Hornets are 29-38 SU and 26-37-4 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 197 points, well under the projected point total of 224. The Pelicans won 101-96, covering as 3-point underdogs. New Orleans had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.459). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (22.7 vs. 17.0). In the loss, Howard had a double-double with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Charlotte Hornets vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.6) while the Hornets rank 25th (21.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (51.5) while Charlotte ranks 21st (43.2).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while New Orleans ranks 22nd (8.2).
- Charlotte ranks 17th in three pointers allowed per game (29.9) while New Orleans ranks 25th (30.6).
- New Orleans is 13-18 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 10-18-3 ATS on the road.
- The Hornets have 15 overs, 15 unders and 1 push in 31 road games.
- Of the Pelicans’ 31 home games, they have 23 overs and 8 unders.
- New Orleans is 8-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Charlotte is 10-3.
- The Pelicans are 36-18 when they score over 100 points, while the Hornets are 28-17.
- The Hornets rank sixth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Pelicans rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (45.4).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.1) while New Orleans ranks 27th (13.5).
- The Hornets rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the Pelicans rank 24th (17.6).
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Hornets rank 20th (5.0).
- Charlotte ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (10.0) while New Orleans ranks 28th (14.4).
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has defeated opponents by an average of 0.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.2 points per game (8.8 above their season average).