The Los Angeles Lakers (11-26), who are currently on an eight-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Charlotte Hornets (14-23) to Staples Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 216 points with Charlotte opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
The Hornets won big over the Sacramento Kings in their last game, 131-111. With 12 points and 10 assists, Charlotte’s Kemba Walker had a solid game. The Hornets had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 3.0 (better than their season average of 11.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.657 (above their season average of 0.486).
In the Lakers last matchup, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 133-96. With 12 points and six rebounds, Los Angeles Kentavious Caldwell-Pope played well. Oklahoma City had a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 12.7). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2 (above their season average of 24.3).
Los Angeles may have trouble getting to the charity stripe in this meeting. The Lakers rank 20th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.185, while Charlotte ranks seventh in FTA rate allowed (0.179). ,
Of Charlotte’s 37 games, 20 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Los Angeles 37 games have finished over the O/U total. The Hornets have the better straight up (SU) record (14-23 vs. 11-26), but the Lakers hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (17-20 vs. 14-19-4).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 209 points, just under the projected point total of 211.5. The Lakers won 110-99, covering as 4-point underdogs. Los Angeles did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (15-21; 71.4 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.0 vs. 12.9). Kyle Kuzma put up a double-double in the victory with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Los Angeles Lakers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank first in steals allowed per game (6.6) while the Lakers rank 24th (8.3).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.4) while Los Angeles ranks last (50.6).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (16.0) while Charlotte ranks 24th (9.3).
- Los Angeles averages 27.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 19th in the NBA. Charlotte ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Charlotte is 5-9-3 ATS on the road with 8 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Los Angeles is 8-11 ATS with 12 overs and 7 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Charlotte is 6-2 and Los Angeles is 5-3.
- The Lakers are 11-15 when they reach 100 points, while the Hornets are 14-9.
- The Lakers rank eighth in assists per game (23.1) while the Hornets rank 27th (20.7).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while Los Angeles ranks last (19.3).
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.6) while the Lakers rank 28th (14.3).
- The Hornets rank 15th in blocks allowed per game (4.9) while the Lakers rank 28th (6.0).
- Charlotte averages 46.3 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the league. Los Angeles ranks 27th in rebounds allowed per game (45.6).
- Los Angeles is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.2, up from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 108.4 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (1.3 below their season average).