The Los Angeles Clippers (15-19) will be at home in Staples Center when they take on the Charlotte Hornets (13-22). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 213 points with Los Angeles opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets at Los Angeles Clippers Odds Preview
The last time the Hornets played, they beat the Golden State Warriors, 111-100. Dwight Howard was the games high scorer with 29 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Charlotte dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.258 (above their season average of 0.237) and a turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 11.7). Golden State was 0.138 and 15.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The Clippers come in on a high note after topping the Los Angeles Lakers in their last game, 121-106. Los Angeles rallied around DeAndre Jordan, who put up 12 points and 16 rebounds. The Clippers made 28 of their 34 free throws (82.4 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 (above their season average of 23.7).
The aggressive Charlotte offense might be getting to the free throw line a lot in this battle. The Hornets rank second in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.238, while Los Angeles ranks 23rd in FTA rate allowed (0.213).
Of Charlotte’s 35 games, 19 have finished under the O/U total, while 17 of Los Angeles’ 34 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Clippers have a substantial advantage. They are 15-19 SU and 18-15-1 ATS, while the Hornets are 13-22 SU and 13-18-4 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 189 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 213. The Hornets won 102-87, covering as 5-point favorites. The Hornets played a flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 7.4 and a superb free throw rate of 0.264. For those same stats, the Clippers were 13.3 and 0.157, respectively. Howard put up a double-double in the victory with 16 points and 16 rebounds.
Charlotte Hornets at Los Angeles Clippers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.1) while the Hornets rank 25th (24.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Charlotte ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.5) while Los Angeles ranks 17th (12.5).
- Los Angeles ranks 26th in assists per game (20.7) while Charlotte ranks 27th (20.5).
- Charlotte is 4-8-3 ATS on the road with 7 overs, 7 unders and 1 push.
- Los Angeles is 8-7 ATS at home with 8 overs, 6 unders and 1 push.
- Charlotte is 6-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Los Angeles is 9-2.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Clippers are 13-12 and the Hornets are 13-9.
- The Hornets rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.4) while the Clippers rank 15th (16.6).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while Los Angeles ranks 21st (8.1).
- The Hornets rank ninth in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while the Clippers rank 28th (13.9).
- The Clippers average 46.6 points in the paint per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Hornets rank 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.1).
- Charlotte ranks second in rebounds per game (46.7) while Los Angeles ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (43.6).
- Los Angeles is 4-0-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 1-2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Clippers have outscored opponents by an average of 12.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Los Angeles has been defeated by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (3.0 above their season average).