The Indiana Pacers (27-23) will be at home in Bankers Life Fieldhouse when they challenge the Charlotte Hornets (20-28). Indiana is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 215 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets at Indiana Pacers ATS Preview
The Hornets fell to the Miami Heat in their last contest, 95-91. Dwight Howard put together a solid performance for Charlotte, finishing with 20 points and 16 rebounds. Miami held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.375 (below their season average of 0.496). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (28-35; 80.0 percent).
The last time the Pacers played, they topped the Orlando Magic, 114-112. Indiana rallied around Victor Oladipo, who was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 10-for-20 shooting. Indiana’s 8.6 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Orlando, who had a mark of 13.3. The Pacers mark was better than their season average of 12.0.
Indiana should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Indiana ranks fifth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.0 percent), while Charlotte forces the sixth-fewest turnovers (13.4 percent). Additionally, the Hornets rank second in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.233), while the Pacers rank third in opponents FTA rate (0.164).
Of Charlotte’s 48 games, 25 have finished under the O/U total, while 28 of Indiana’s 50 games have finished under the O/U total. The Pacers hold a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 27-23 SU and 27-23 ATS, while the Hornets are 20-28 SU and 19-25-4 ATS.
Howard has been excellent over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 17.2 points, 15.4 rebounds, 4.2 blocks and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Pacers won 98-77. Indiana made 12 of its 28 three pointers (42.9 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.4 vs. 15.4).
Charlotte Hornets vs. Indiana Pacers Free Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Pacers, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Pacers rank 12th in steals per game (8.0) while the Hornets rank 28th (6.8).
- Charlotte ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Indiana ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Indiana ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Charlotte ranks 19th (16.1).
- Charlotte ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.8) while Indiana ranks 25th (30.9).
- Charlotte is 7-10-3 ATS on the road with 10 unders, 9 overs and 1 push.
- Indiana is 14-12 ATS at home with 15 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- When allowing under 100 points, Indiana is 15-2 and Charlotte is 8-3.
- The Hornets are 19-11 when they score more than 100 points, while the Pacers are 23-10.
- The Pacers rank 15th in assists per game (22.4) while the Hornets rank 29th (20.6).
- Indiana ranks third in fast break points per game (14.9) while Charlotte ranks 25th (9.3).
- The Hornets rank second in rebounds per game (46.6) while the Pacers rank 23rd (41.8).
- The Hornets average 43.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks 17th in the league. The Pacers rank 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.2).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (9.7) while Indiana ranks 19th (12.8).
- Indiana is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pacers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points per game (1.7 below their season average).