The Charlotte Hornets (10-16) will attempt to put an end to the 10-game winning streak of Houston when they travel to Toyota Center to take on the Rockets (21-4). Houston is a 12.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 220 points. Tip-off is set for 9:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Houston Rockets Free Preview
The Hornets defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last matchup, 116-103. Dwight Howard led Charlotte in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Hornets had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.611 (above their season average of 0.487) and had a better turnover percentage (12.4 vs. 13.5).
The last time the Rockets played, they beat the New Orleans Pelicans, 130-123. James Harden led the way for Houston, recording 26 points, 17 assists and six steals. The Rockets had a much better free throw rate (0.193 vs. 0.082) and had a turnover percentage of 8.3 (better than their season average of 14.1).
It could be a difficult game for Houston on the offensive glass. The Rockets are among the leagues elite on the offensive glass, ranking 14th in offensive rebounding percentage at 21.9 percent. Meanwhile, Charlotte ranks second in the NBA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 81.1 percent.
Of Charlotte’s 26 games, 13 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Houston’s 25 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 21-4 SU and 14-11 ATS, while the Hornets are 10-16 SU and 11-14-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 202 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 214.5. The Rockets won 109-93, covering as 2.5-point favorites. Houston had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.576 vs. 0.438). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 14.2). Harden put up a triple-double in the victory, with 27 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Houston Rockets Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank second in rebounds allowed per game (40.3) while the Hornets rank 23rd (44.1).
- Charlotte averages 43.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks 14th in the league. Houston ranks 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.8).
- Houston ranks 10th in assists per game (23.0) while Charlotte ranks 25th (20.4).
- Charlotte ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Houston ranks seventh (11.0).
- Charlotte is 3-8-1 ATS on the road with 6 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Houston is 5-7 ATS with 6 overs and 6 unders.
- Charlotte is 5-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Houston is 9-1.
- The Rockets are 21-2 when they reach 100 points, while the Hornets are 10-7.
- The Hornets rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.3) while the Rockets rank 18th (11.6).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.5) while Charlotte ranks 28th (6.2).
- The Hornets rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.3) while the Rockets rank 26th (18.8).
- The Rockets average 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Hornets rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Houston averages 43.2 three pointers per game, which ranks first in the league. Charlotte ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (31.0).
- Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.8, up from 11.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 103.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.4 points per game (1.3 below their season average).