The Denver Nuggets (28-25) will be at home in Pepsi Center when they challenge the Charlotte Hornets (23-29). Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018, and it can be seen on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt.
Charlotte Hornets at Denver Nuggets Free Preview
The Hornets beat the Phoenix Suns in their last matchup, 115-110. With 18 points and 14 rebounds, Dwight Howard played well for Charlotte. Charlotte played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.0 (above their season average of 23.1) and a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 11.3). Phoenix was 6.3 and 18.7, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Nuggets played, they defeated the Golden State Warriors, 115-108. Denver was lifted by Trey Lyles, who put up 15 points and 10 rebounds. The Nuggets knocked down 25 of their 29 free throws (86.2 percent) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.0 (above their season average of 26.5).
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the leagues top rebounding teams clash. The Nuggets rank second in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6 percent), while Charlotte ranks second in defensive rebounding percentage (81.5 percent). Furthermore, the Hornets are among the NBA’s best at getting to the line, ranking second in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.233). The Nuggets, meanwhile, rank second in opponents FTA rate (0.166).
Of Charlotte’s 51 games that accepted bets, 26 have finished under the O/U total, while 31 of Denver’s 53 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Nuggets have a substantial advantage. They are 28-25 SU and 24-26-3 ATS, while the Hornets are 23-29 SU and 21-26-4 ATS.
The Hornets Kemba Walker (32.2 points and 5.6 assists) and Howard (18.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 2.6 blocks) have been playing well over their last five games. Meanwhile, the Nuggets have their own duo of hot players. Nikola Jokic has averaged 19.0 points, 10.8 rebounds and 9.6 assists, while Jamal Murray has averaged 19.6 points and 4.8 assists.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 203 points, which was under the projected point total of 211.5. The Hornets won 110-93, covering as 2.5-point underdogs. Charlotte did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent). Denver, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.0 vs. 23.3). In the loss, Jokic had a double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
Charlotte Hornets at Denver Nuggets ATS Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- The Nuggets rank seventh in fast break points per game (13.8) while the Hornets rank 26th (9.3).
- Denver ranks 16th in blocks per game (4.7) while Charlotte ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Denver ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while Charlotte ranks 17th (43.0).
- Denver ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.2) while Charlotte ranks seventh (13.5).
- Charlotte is 8-11-3 ATS on the road with 11 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Denver is 15-12-1 ATS with 17 unders and 11 overs.
- Charlotte is 8-3 when they allow under 100 points, while Denver is 13-2.
- The Hornets are 22-11 when they reach 100 points, while the Nuggets are 22-16.
- The Nuggets rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.2) while the Hornets rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.6).
- Charlotte ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while Denver ranks 28th (19.2).
- The Nuggets rank fourth in assists per game (24.0) while the Hornets rank 29th (20.9).
- The Nuggets rank sixth in points in the paint per game (48.2) while the Hornets rank 13th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.1).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Denver ranks 22nd (8.2).
- Denver is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Nuggets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 111.6 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average).