The Portland Trail Blazers (29-25) can extend an eight-game home winning streak when they take on the Charlotte Hornets (23-30) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 214 points with Portland opening as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Preview
In the Hornets’ last outing, they fell to the Denver Nuggets, 121-104. Charlotte’s Dwight Howard put up 19 points and seven rebounds in the contest. Denver was lights out from beyond the arc (18-34; 52.9 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.195 vs. 0.136).
The Trail Blazers are trying to rebound after their 111-91 loss to the Detroit Pistons in their last game. Damian Lillard led Portland in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Detroit was lights out from beyond the arc (15-30; 50.0 percent). Portland, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.8 vs. 13.0).
Portland appears to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Trail Blazers currently rank sixth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.505), while Charlotte is 29th in effective field goal percentage (0.499). Also, the Hornets rank third in turnover percentage (12.4 percent), while the Trail Blazers rank 28th in opponents’ turnover percentage (12.6 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 53 games, 26 have finished over the O/U total, while 32 of Portland’s 54 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Trail Blazers have a substantial advantage. They are 29-25 SU and 25-23-6 ATS, while the Hornets are 23-30 SU and 21-28-4 ATS.
Nicolas Batum has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 18.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 184 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 204. The Trail Blazers won 93-91, covering as 4-point underdogs. Portland made 10 of their 24 three pointers (41.7 percent). Charlotte was, meanwhile, 7-31 (22.6 percent). Despite the loss, Batum was a top performer in the game with 23 points and five assists.
Charlotte Hornets at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank second in second chance points allowed per game (9.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 13th (12.1).
- Charlotte ranks 18th in points off turnovers per game (16.2) while Portland ranks 26th (14.4).
- Charlotte averages 46.0 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Portland ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (42.6).
- Portland is 10-12-3 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 8-13-3 ATS on the road.
- In 24 road games, the Hornets have 12 overs, 11 unders and 1 push.
- In 25 home games, the Trail Blazers have 15 unders and 10 overs.
- Portland is 17-5 when they allow under 100 points, while Charlotte is 8-3.
- When reaching 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 24-13 and the Hornets are 22-12.
- The Trail Blazers rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.9) while the Hornets rank 13th (43.3).
- Portland ranks second in assists allowed per game (20.2) while Charlotte ranks 21st (23.8).
- The Trail Blazers rank sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Hornets rank 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- The Hornets are 26th in the NBA with 9.3 fast break points per game while the Trail Blazers are last with 6.8 fast break points per game.
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.6) while Portland ranks 13th (7.5).
- Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 4.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 114.2 points per game (7.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.4 points per game (8.0 above their season average).