The New York Knicks (24-45) and the Charlotte Hornets (30-39) go head-to-head at Madison Square Garden. The Knicks are 6.5-point underdogs and will attempt to put an end to their nine-game losing streak. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 221 points and it can be seen on MSG Network at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 17, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets vs. New York Knicks ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Knicks were beaten by the Philadelphia 76ers, 118-110, while the Hornets defeated the Atlanta Hawks, 129-117.
Charlotte dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.230 (above their season average of 0.227) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.626 (above their season average of 0.504). For those same stats, Atlanta was 0.189 and 0.556, respectively. New York, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 11.7). Michael Beasley was a key piece for New York with 24 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists. Meanwhile, Dwight Howard had a good game for Charlotte, putting up 33 points and 12 rebounds.
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Knicks currently rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.4 percent), while Charlotte ranks first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.2 percent). Also, the Hornets rank second in turnover percentage (12.1 percent), while the Knicks rank 23rd in opponents turnover percentage (13.3 percent).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Hornets games, with 36 overs compared to 32 unders. Charlotte heads into the game with records of 30-39 straight up (SU) and 28-37-4 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Knicks also have finished over the total 52.2 percent of the time. Moreover, New York is 24-45 SU and 31-38 ATS.
Howard has been superb recently for Charlotte, averaging 22.2 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks over the last five games.
The Hornets won the most recent matchup by 18 points to even the season series at one. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist put up a double-double in the victory with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Charlotte had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.8 vs. 22.2). New York, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (16-20; 80.0 percent). Charlotte covered as a 9-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 200 points, which was under the projected point total of 206.5.
Charlotte Hornets vs. New York Knicks Betting Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while the Knicks rank 14th (11.7).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while New York ranks 24th (8.2).
- The Knicks rank sixth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Hornets rank 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- New York ranks 13th in assists per game (22.8) while Charlotte ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (24.7).
- New York averages 46.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the league. Charlotte ranks 17th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.0).
- The Hornets rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the Knicks rank 23rd (17.6).
- The Hornets rank fifth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Knicks rank 16th (43.9).
- Charlotte ranks 22nd in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while New York ranks last (22.3).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.2) while New York ranks 19th (12.9).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Charlotte is 10-3 and New York is 11-3.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Knicks are 23-24 and the Hornets are 29-18.
- New York is 17-16 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 12-18-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Knicks 33 home games, while 17 of the Hornets 33 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Charlotte and New York are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Hornets have 5 overs over their last five games, while the Knicks have 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.6, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 102.4 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 118.2 points per game (10.4 above their season average).