The Charlotte Hornets (8-12) look to end a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Miami Heat (10-11) at AmericanAirlines Arena. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 1, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Charlotte Hornets at Miami Heat Free Preview
The Hornets were beaten by the Toronto Raptors in their last matchup, 126-113. With 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Dwight Howard was Charlotte’s high scorer. Toronto had a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 13.2). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (30-35; 85.7 percent).
The last time the Heat played, they were beaten by the New York Knicks, 115-86. Kelly Olynyk was Miami’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-11 shooting. New York did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (22-26; 84.6 percent). Miami, on the other hand, forced the Knicks into a turnover percentage of 19.1 (above their season average of 14.2).
Miami could have their way on defense as they clash against one of the NBA’s worst offenses. The Heat rank fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.502), while Charlotte is 26th in effective field goal percentage (0.498). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Hornets. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.9 percent). Conversely, the Heat force the ninth-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents turnover percentage of 13.9 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 20 games, 10 have finished over the projected point total, while 12 of Miami’s 21 games have finished under the projected point total. The Heat hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (10-11 vs. 8-12), but the Hornets have the better against the spread (ATS) record (9-10-1 vs. 7-12-2).
Howard has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 19.4 points, 14.6 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Heat won 112-99. The Heat played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.601. The Hornets put up marks of 10.8 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte Hornets at Miami Heat Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Hornets average 47.0 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the league. The Heat rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.7).
- Miami ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while Charlotte ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Charlotte ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Miami ranks 16th (12.6).
- Miami is 1-6-2 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 2-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Heat’s 9 home games, while 5 of the Hornets’ 10 road games have gone over.
- Miami is 7-3 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Charlotte is 4-1.
- The Hornets are 8-5 when they score more than 100 points, while the Heat are 7-4.
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (19.4) while the Hornets rank 14th (22.6).
- Miami ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (24.3) while Charlotte ranks 26th (31.9).
- The Hornets rank third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while the Heat rank 25th (8.9).
- The Hornets rank second in fast break points allowed per game (7.5) while the Heat rank sixth (9.0).
- Charlotte ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while Miami ranks 22nd (18.1).
- Miami is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Heat’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.0, up from 2.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 109.0 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (4.5 above their season average).