The Charlotte Hornets (32-41) will travel to American Airlines Center to take on the Dallas Mavericks (22-50). The Hornets opened as 2-point favorites. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 214.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports Carolina at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 24, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Dallas Mavericks Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Mavericks fell to the Utah Jazz, 119-112, while the Hornets won big over the Memphis Grizzlies, 140-79.
Charlotte dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.2 (better than their season average of 11.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.5 (above their season average of 22.2). For those same stats, Memphis recorded marks of 17.9 and 17.6, respectively. Dallas, on the other hand, was lights out from beyond the arc (17-32; 53.1 percent). Dallas was lifted by J.J. Barea, who recorded 23 points and eight assists. Kemba Walker played a key role for Charlotte with 46 points.
Dallas should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Dallas ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while Charlotte forces the ninth-fewest turnovers (13.4 percent).
Of the Hornets 73 games, 37 have finished over the total. Charlotte heads into the game with records of 32-41 straight up (SU) and 30-39-4 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Charlotte, just over half of Mavericks games have finished under the total. Further, Dallas is 22-50 SU and 37-35 ATS.
In their first matchup this year, Harrison Barnes led the Mavericks to a 115-111 victory. He registered a double-double with 25 points and 11 rebounds. Dallas covered as a 7-point underdog and the two teams combined to put up 226 points, which was well over the projected point total of 210.5. Dallas did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (22-28; 78.6 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (10.0 vs. 7.1).
Charlotte Hornets at Dallas Mavericks ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 19th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Mavericks rank 28th (3.7).
- Charlotte ranks fourth in rebounds per game (45.3) while Dallas ranks 26th (41.0).
- The Hornets rank 12th in second chance points per game (12.9) while the Mavericks rank 27th (10.5).
- Charlotte ranks 14th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.7).
- Dallas ranks 16th in assists per game (22.7) while Charlotte ranks 28th (21.3).
- The Hornets rank sixth in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while the Mavericks rank 27th (14.3).
- The Mavericks rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while the Hornets rank 17th (45.0).
- Charlotte ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Dallas ranks ninth (7.3).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (32.1) while Charlotte ranks 22nd (27.0).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Dallas is 15-11 and Charlotte is 11-3.
- The Mavericks are 16-26 when they score over 100 points, while the Hornets are 31-19.
- Charlotte is 13-20-3 ATS on the road, while Dallas is 18-19 ATS at home.
- The Hornets have 18 unders, 17 overs and 1 push in 36 road games.
- The Mavericks have 19 unders, 17 overs and 1 push in 37 home games.
- In their last five games, Charlotte and Dallas are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Hornets have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Mavericks have 4 overs and 1 under,
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 115.0 points per game (7.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average).
- The Mavericks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 2.6 for the season.