The Charlotte Hornets (28-33) and the Boston Celtics (43-19) face off at TD Garden. The Hornets will attempt to continue their five-game winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208 points with Boston opening as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Boston Celtics Odds Preview
The Hornets were victorious over the Chicago Bulls in their last game, 118-103. Kemba Walker was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 11-for-19 shooting. The Hornets forced 20 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.628 (above their season average of 0.501).The last time the Celtics played, they defeated the Memphis Grizzlies, 109-98. Boston was lifted by Kyrie Irving, who was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Boston played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below their season average of 21.0) and a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 12.2). Memphis was 12.5 and 9.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Boston figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Celtics defense ranks first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.488), while the Charlotte offense is ranked 27th in effective field goal percentage (0.503).
Of Charlotte’s 60 games with betting action, 30 have finished under the projected point total, while 31 of Boston’s 62 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a clear advantage. They are 43-19 SU and 35-24-3 ATS, while the Hornets are 28-33 SU and 24-32-4 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Hornets, it’s been Nicolas Batum, who has averaged 9.8 points, 7.2 assists and 1.6 steals, while the Celtics have gotten solid contributions from Terry Rozier (13.8 points and 4.6 assists).
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Celtics winning both. In the most recent matchup, Al Horford put up 20 points and 11 rebounds and the Celtics beat the Hornets 102-91, covering as 1-point favorites. The two teams combined to score 193 points, which was 12.5 points below the projected point total of 205.5 points. Boston made 15 of its 34 three pointers (44.1 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.9 vs. 15.4).
Charlotte Hornets vs. Boston Celtics Odds Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.5) while the Celtics rank 27th (14.6).
- Boston ranks 22nd in steals per game (7.2) while Charlotte ranks 26th (7.0).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.0) while Boston ranks ninth (11.5).
- Boston ranks 24th in fast break points per game (9.6) while Charlotte ranks 27th (9.3).
- Charlotte is 9-16-3 ATS on the road, while Boston is 15-15-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the Hornets’ 28 road games, while 17 of the Celtics’ 33 home games have gone over.
- Boston is 28-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Charlotte is 10-3.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Celtics are 32-8 and the Hornets are 27-14.
- The Hornets rank 20th in points in the paint per game (42.9) while the Celtics rank 27th (39.1).
- Charlotte ranks third in rebounds per game (45.6) while Boston ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- The Celtics rank third in assists allowed per game (20.6) while the Hornets rank 21st (24.1).
- The Celtics rank 16th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Hornets rank 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Boston ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.7) while Charlotte ranks 18th (29.8).
- Boston is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 3.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 113.8 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.8 points per game (5.4 below their season average).