Southeast Division foes will clash when the Atlanta Hawks (15-35) challenge the Charlotte Hornets (20-29) at Philips Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 211 points with Charlotte set as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Preview
The Hornets were beaten by the Indiana Pacers in their last contest, 105-96. Charlotte’s Dwight Howard had a solid game, contributing 22 points and 11 rebounds. Indiana forced the Hornets into a turnover percentage of 14.8 (above their season average of 11.3). Charlotte, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.6 vs. 17.1).
In the Hawks last matchup, they beat the Minnesota Timberwolves, 105-100. Atlanta received a boost from Dennis Schroder, who had 18 points and 11 assists. The Hawks held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.3 (below their season average of 25.4) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.576 (above their season average of 0.514).
Atlanta might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Charlotte currently ranks ninth in defensive efficiency, while the Hawks rank 25th in offensive efficiency. Moreover, the Hornets commit the third-fewest errors in the league (turnover percentage of 12.5 percent), while the pesky defense of the Hawks causes the fourth-most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.6 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 49 games, 26 have finished under the O/U total, while 26 of Atlanta’s 50 games have finished under the O/U total. The Hornets hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (20-29 vs. 15-35), but the Hawks have the better against the spread (ATS) record (26-22-2 vs. 19-26-4).
Howard has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 17.6 points, 15.6 rebounds and 4.6 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Hornets winning both. In the most recent contest, Howard had 18 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocks and the Hornets beat the Hawks 121-110, covering as 7-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 231 points, which was 19.5 points above the projected point total of 211.5 points. The Hornets played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.7 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. The Hawks were 18.2 and 15.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Atlanta Hawks Free Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.6) while the Hawks rank 21st (13.2).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.8) while Atlanta ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Atlanta ranks first in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while Charlotte ranks 20th (16.0).
- Charlotte ranks 17th in points in the paint per game (43.3) while Atlanta ranks 27th (40.7).
- Charlotte is 7-11-3 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 14-12 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 13 of the Hawks 26 home games, while 11 of the Hornets 21 road games have gone under.
- Charlotte is 8-3 when they allow less than 100 points, while Atlanta is 7-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Hawks are 14-20 and the Hornets are 19-11.
- The Hornets rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.7) while the Hawks rank 19th (12.1).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.5) while Atlanta ranks 26th (8.6).
- The Hawks rank fifth in assists per game (23.8) while the Hornets rank 29th (20.5).
- The Hawks rank 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.6) while the Hornets rank 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.6).
- Charlotte ranks second in rebounds per game (46.4) while Atlanta ranks 25th (41.0).
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 103.2 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.6 points per game (1.9 below their season average).