BigSou foes will collide when the Liberty Flames (8-4, 0-1 BigSou) clash against the Charleston Southern Buccaneers (6-6, 1-0 BigSou) at Vines Center. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Charleston Southern Buccaneers at Liberty Flames ATS Preview
In the Buccaneers last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Longwood Lancers, 84-43. Christian Keeling was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Charleston Southern played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 18.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.573 (above their season average of 0.530). Longwood recorded marks of 37.0 and 0.398, respectively, for those same stats.
The Flames are hoping for a better outcome after their 58-55 loss to the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs in their last matchup. Scottie James led Liberty in scoring with 11 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Gardner-Webb held the Flames to an effective field goal percentage of 0.407 (below their season average of 0.546). Liberty, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (11-13; 84.6 percent).
It could be a difficult game for Liberty on the offensive glass. The Flames currently rank 238th in offensive rebounding percentage (27.5 percent), while Charleston Southern ranks 70th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.3 percent). Additionally, the Buccaneers rank 253rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.214), while the Flames rank 45th in opponents FTA rate (0.182).
Keeling has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Charleston Southern, averaging 21.6 points and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Flames won both games played against each other last season. In the last contest, Liberty won 76-69. Liberty did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-29; 75.9 percent). Charleston Southern, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (17.5 vs. 11.5).
Charleston Southern Buccaneers at Liberty Flames Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Liberty, ATS Winner – Liberty, O/U – Under
- The Buccaneers average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 31st in the NCAA. The Flames rank 92nd in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- Liberty is 40th in the nation with 2.7 blocks allowed per game while Charleston Southern is 47th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Liberty averages 23.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 113th in the NCAA. Charleston Southern ranks 258th in three pointers allowed per game (27.1).
- The Flames rank 22nd in assists allowed per game (10.5) while the Buccaneers rank 122nd (13.4).
- Charleston Southern ranks 39th in rebounds per game (39.9) while Liberty ranks 118th (36.9).
- The Flames average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.4, down from 16.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 79.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (2.4 below their season average).