The Towson Tigers (9-5, 1-2 CAA) will try to continue a seven-game home winning streak when they meet the Charleston Cougars (11-4, 2-1 CAA) at SECU Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 136 points with Towson set as a 2-point favorite. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Charleston Cougars at Towson Tigers Free Preview
In the Cougars last outing, they lost to the Drexel Dragons, 87-82. Charleston’s Jarrell Brantley put together a solid performance, recording 20 points and 10 rebounds. Drexel did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-24; 70.8 percent). Charleston, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.1 (above their season average of 23.6).
The Tigers will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the UNCW Seahawks in their last outing, 89-71. Towson was lifted by Mike Morsell, who was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Towson dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.538) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 46.7 (above their season average of 32.8). UNCW put up marks of 0.509 and 38.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the nations slowest-paced teams battle. Towson ranks 255th in possessions per game (68.8) and Charleston is 310th (67.1).
Of Charleston’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Towson’s 11 games have finished under the O/U total. The Cougars have the superior straight up (SU) record (11-4 vs. 9-5), but the Tigers hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (6-5 vs. 5-5-1).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 135 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 131.5. The Cougars won 73-62, covering as 4-point favorites. Charleston did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-28; 78.6 percent). Towson, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (26.5 vs. 12.5). Joe Chealey had a stellar game, with 21 points and seven rebounds.
Charleston Cougars at Towson Tigers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Charleston, ATS Winner – Charleston, O/U – Over
- The Tigers average 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 32nd in the NCAA. The Cougars rank 94th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Charleston ranks 46th in assists allowed per game (11.5) while Towson ranks 84th (12.4).
- Charleston is 3-3-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Towson is 1-0 ATS with 1 over and 0 unders.
- Towson ranks 66th in rebounds per game (38.4) while Charleston ranks 235th (33.0).
- The Cougars rank 18th in three pointers allowed per game (17.6) while the Tigers rank 97th (21.0).
- Charleston ranks third in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Towson ranks 74th (5.9).
- Towson is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charleston is 2-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Tigers have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Towson has defeated opponents by an average of 9.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 79.0 points per game (6.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (5.7 above their season average).