The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (6-6) will be at home in HTC Center when they go head-to-head with the Charleston Cougars (8-3). Charleston is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Charleston Cougars vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Free Preview
The Cougars defeated the South Carolina State Bulldogs in their last contest, 80-64. Grant Riller was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Charleston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.542 (above their season average of 0.481) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.5 (below their season average of 24.9). South Carolina State had marks of 0.377 and 20.0, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Chanticleers last game, they were topped by the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 84-80. Zac Cuthbertson was Coastal Carolina’s leading scorer with 21 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Wake Forest did an excellent job of making free throws (21-25; 84.0 percent). Coastal Carolina, meanwhile, forced the Demon Deacons into a turnover percentage of 20.5 (above their season average of 16.8).
The offensive glass should be a major edge for Coastal Carolina in this showdown. The Chanticleers rank 30th in offensive rebounding percentage (36.2 percent), while Charleston ranks 197th in defensive rebounding percentage (70.9 percent). Ball security should be an advantage for the Cougars. They rank 21st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.9 percent), while the Chanticleers force the 82nd-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 17.9 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Charleston have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while 100.0 percent of Coastal Carolina games have finished over. The Cougars have the better straight up (SU) record (8-3 vs. 6-6), but the Chanticleers hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (4-2 vs. 3-4).
Jaylen Shaw has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Coastal Carolina, averaging 20.2 points, 4.8 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Cougars won the only game last season, 71-64. Charleston did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (21-23; 91.3 percent). Coastal Carolina, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (16.6 vs. 18.0).
Charleston Cougars at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Coastal Carolina, ATS Winner – Coastal Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Chanticleers rank 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Cougars rank 117th (3.7).
- Charleston is 3-2 ATS on the road with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Coastal Carolina is 1-1 ATS with 2 overs and 0 unders.
- Coastal Carolina ranks 19th in rebounds per game (40.9) while Charleston ranks 203rd in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- The Cougars rank 41st in three pointers allowed per game (18.8) while the Chanticleers rank 208th (24.5).
- Charleston ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while Coastal Carolina ranks 126th (6.8).
- Coastal Carolina is 2-0 ATS with 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charleston is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders.
- The Chanticleers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (4.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average).