CAA foes will clash when the Drexel Dragons (6-8, 0-2 CAA) go head-to-head with the Charleston Cougars (11-3, 2-0 CAA) at John A Daskalakis Center. Charleston is a 7-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 137 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Charleston Cougars at Drexel Dragons Betting Preview
The Cougars beat the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens in their last matchup, 93-78. Joe Chealey was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Charleston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.760 (above their season average of 0.496) and a free throw rate of 0.417 (above their season average of 0.301). For those same stats, Delaware was 0.610 and 0.340, respectively.
The last time the Dragons played, they were defeated by the UNCW Seahawks, 107-87. With 21 points, Drexel’s Troy Harper had a solid performance. UNCW had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 34.3). Drexel, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.0 vs. 17.0).
Drexel might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the nations best defenses. Charleston currently ranks 83rd in defensive efficiency while the Dragons rank 214th in offensive efficiency. The Cougars should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 23rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while the Dragons force the 51st-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 17.0 percent).
Of Charleston’s 10 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Drexel’s 10 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cougars have a substantial advantage. They are 11-3 SU and 5-4-1 ATS, while the Dragons are 6-8 SU and 4-5-1 ATS.
Grant Riller has really been playing well over the last five games for Charleston, averaging 20.6 points and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Cougars won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Charleston won 80-67. The Cougars dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.500 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1. The Dragons were 0.269 and 20.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Charleston Cougars vs. Drexel Dragons Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Charleston, ATS Winner – Drexel, O/U – Under
- The Cougars rank 25th in three pointers allowed per game (18.1) while the Dragons rank 121st (21.8).
- Drexel ranks 64th in blocks per game (4.2) while Charleston ranks 85th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Charleston is 3-2-1 ATS on the road, while Drexel is 1-2 ATS at home.
- The Cougars have 3 overs and 3 unders in 6 road games.
- In 3 home games, the Dragons have 2 unders and 1 over.
- Drexel ranks 94th in rebounds per game (37.7) while Charleston ranks 240th (32.6).
- The Cougars rank 47th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Dragons rank 177th (14.6).
- Charleston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (3.9) while Drexel ranks 101st (6.4).
- Drexel is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charleston is 3-0-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Dragons average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (3.4 above their season average).