MAC foes will collide when the Ball State Cardinals (11-6, 2-2 MAC) challenge the Central Michigan Chippewas (12-5, 1-3 MAC) at John E. Worthen Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145.5 points with Ball State opening as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Central Michigan Chippewas at Ball State Cardinals Odds Preview
In the Chippewas last game, they fell to the Toledo Rockets, 93-82. With 29 points on 9-for-16 shooting, Shawn Roundtree was the top scorer from either team. Toledo had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.4 (above their season average of 26.2). Central Michigan, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.7 vs. 14.4).
The Cardinals are trying to rebound after their 73-58 loss to the Western Michigan Broncos in their last matchup. Tayler Persons led Ball State in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Western Michigan had a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.235). Ball State, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.491 vs. 0.458).
Ball State may have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this showdown. The Cardinals currently rank 157th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.245, while Central Michigan ranks 20th in FTA rate allowed (0.173).
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Central Michigan games have finished under 58.3 percent of the time, while Ball State games have finished under 63.6 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (12-5 for Central Michigan; 11-6 for Ball State), but the Chippewas have the edge against the spread (ATS). Central Michigan is 8-4 ATS, while the Cardinals are 6-5.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Cardinals won both contests last season. In the most recent game, Ball State won 109-100. Ball State’s 0.603 effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Central Michigan, who had a mark of 0.448.
Central Michigan Chippewas vs. Ball State Cardinals Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Central Michigan, ATS Winner – Central Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Chippewas average 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 76th in the nation. The Cardinals rank 117th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Central Michigan ranks 155th in assists per game (13.4) while Ball State ranks 166th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Central Michigan is 4-3 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Ball State is 2-2 ATS with 4 unders and 0 overs.
- Ball State averages 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 71st in the NCAA. Central Michigan ranks 243rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.7).
- The Chippewas average 37.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 86th in the nation. The Cardinals rank 147th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- Central Michigan ranks 101st in steals per game (6.6) while Ball State ranks 159th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Ball State is 2-2 ATS with 4 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Central Michigan is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 1.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Chippewas have scored an average of 78.2 points per game (0.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (7.9 above their season average).