SthLnd foes will clash when the Sam Houston State Bearkats (6-8, 0-1 SthLnd) square off against the Central Arkansas Bears (7-8, 1-1 SthLnd) at Johnson Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Central Arkansas Bears vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Preview
The Bears were beaten by the Southeastern Louisiana Lions in their last contest, 73-69. Central Arkansas Mathieu Kamba had four points and 10 rebounds in the contest. Southeastern Louisiana held the Bears to an effective field goal percentage of 0.379 (below their season average of 0.530). Central Arkansas, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.355 (above their season average of 0.243).
In the Bearkats last game, they were topped by the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 75-72. John Dewey III was Sam Houston State’s leading scorer with 18 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Abilene Christian had a free throw rate of 0.291 (above their season average of 0.199). Sam Houston State, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (18.2 vs. 18.3).
It could be a sloppy game for the Sam Houston State offense. Sam Houston State ranks 208th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.3 percent), while the pesky defense of Central Arkansas forces the 74th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.7 percent). Contrasting tempos will be on display in this meeting. The up-tempo Bears rank 17th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Bearkats rank 255th.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Bears, it’s been Kamba, who has averaged 17.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Bearkats have gotten great contributions from Christopher Galbreath Jr. (19.0 points and 10.4 rebounds).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Bearkats won the last contest 77-69. The Bearkats turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Bears. Sam Houston State had a rate of 6.1, while Central Arkansas posted a mark of 16.1.
Central Arkansas Bears vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Sam Houston State, ATS Winner – Sam Houston State, O/U – Under
- The Bearkats average 15.8 assists per game, which ranks 64th in the nation. The Bears rank 173rd in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- Sam Houston State ranks 46th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Central Arkansas ranks 96th (6.3).
- Central Arkansas ranks 47th in three pointers allowed per game (19.7) while Sam Houston State ranks 257th (26.8).
- The Bearkats average 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. The Bears rank 255th in rebounds allowed per game (40.6).
- Central Arkansas ranks 42nd in blocks per game (4.8) while Sam Houston State ranks 185th (1.9).
- The Bearkats have been outscored by an average of 9.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Sam Houston State has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 79.0 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average).