The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (22-5, 11-3 SthLnd) can prolong a 14-game home winning streak when they welcome the Central Arkansas Bears (13-14, 7-7 SthLnd) to William R. Johnson Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018.
Central Arkansas Bears at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Free Preview
The Bears were beaten by the Nicholls Colonels in their last contest, 87-83. Jordan Howard put together a solid game for Central Arkansas, leading both teams in scoring with 37 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Nicholls had a better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 24.3). Central Arkansas, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (28-37; 75.7 percent).
The last time the Lumberjacks played, they defeated the Incarnate Word Cardinals, 81-70. Stephen F. Austin was lifted by Leon Gilmore III, who recorded 22 points and 11 rebounds. Stephen F. Austin played a perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1 (below their season average of 34.4) and a turnover percentage of 20.2 (worse than their season average of 18.5). Incarnate Word recorded marks of 21.9 and 25.1, respectively, for those same stats.
There could be a fair amount of transition offense in this matchup that showcases a pair of the NCAA’s more up-tempo teams. Stephen F. Austin ranks 19th in possessions per game (74.4) and Central Arkansas is 10th (76.4).
Mathieu Kamba has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Central Arkansas, averaging 19.4 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Bears won 100-92. Central Arkansas had a much better free throw rate (0.421 vs. 0.294). Stephen F. Austin, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (36.6 vs. 31.3). Howard was the games top overall scorer with 43 points.
Central Arkansas Bears at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Under
- The Lumberjacks average 10.7 steals per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. The Bears rank 132nd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Central Arkansas averages 17.1 assists per game, which ranks 15th in the NCAA. Stephen F. Austin ranks 119th in assists allowed per game (13.0).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (31.6) while Central Arkansas ranks 292nd (40.2).
- The Bears rank 13th in blocks per game (5.4) while the Lumberjacks rank 186th (2.6).
- Central Arkansas ranks 102nd in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 269th (18.2).
- The Lumberjacks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.8, down from 12.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 86.8 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.0 points per game (2.1 above their season average).