The Carolina Panthers (+5) are set to take on their NFC South nemesis Atlanta Falcons (-5) at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Kickoff for this game is pegged for 1:00 p.m. ET and fans can catch the action by tuning in to FOX.
Betting Preview: Atlanta Falcons vs. Carolina Panthers
This Sunday NFC pairing showcases the Panthers as the underdogs and they’re currently getting 5 points. The Panthers are also receiving +160 moneyline odds while the Falcons are -180. Oddsmakers have determined the over/under (O/U) to be 44 points, and if one squad can create a bunch of points in the early stages, it’ll probably create a nice live betting opportunity.
Sharp bettors are siding with the Panthers, as the line opened at -6. The over/under has yet to move after it was initially posted at 44.
The Panthers have gained 1.0 unit so far in 2018 and are 1-0 against the spread (ATS). The team’s posted an O/U record of 0-1.
The Falcons have lost 1.1 units for moneyline bettors this season. They’re 0-1 ATS and also have an O/U record of 0-1.
The Panthers are 1-0 straight up (SU) and the team has yet to face any NFC South opponents this year. The Falcons are 0-1 SU overall and also 0-0 SU versus divisional foes.
The Panthers are hoping to stay undefeated after a 16-8 win over Dallas last week where their D allowed the Cowboys to pass for 170 yards and rush for 94 yards. Ezekiel Elliott had a productive day for the Cowboys in that one with 69 rushing yards and a score on 15 attempts. On the offense, Cam Newton completed 17-of-26 passes for just 161 yards. Newton (58 rushing yards on 13 attempts, one TD) also led the ground attack and was complemented by Christian McCaffrey (50 yards on 10 carries). McCaffrey (six receptions, 45 yards) and Jarius Wright (three catches, 23 yards) shared the receiving duties in the win.
Back in Week 1, Philadelphia knocked off this Atlanta crew by a score of 18-12. The Falcons defensive unit allowed the Eagles to run for 113 yards on 27 rush attempts, including two rush TDs. Jay Ajayi had a solid showing for Philadelphia, recording 62 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 15 attempts. For Atlanta, Matt Ryan completed 21-of-43 passes for 251 yards and one interception. Tevin Coleman (19 yards on 9 rush attempts, one TD) spearheaded the running game as Julio Jones (10 receptions, 169 yards) and Mohamed Sanu (four catches, 18 yards) led the pass-catching corps in the loss..
Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons NFL Pick
SU Winner: Falcons, ATS Winner: Panthers, O/U: Under
Team Betting Notes
- The Carolina defense has sacked opposing quarterbacks six times this season. Atlanta has produced two sacks.
- Atlanta has lost zero fumbles this season while Carolina has lost one,
- The Panthers offensive line gave up 35 sacks last season. Their defense created 50 sacks.
- The Falcons O-line gave up 24 sacks last year. Their defense recorded 39 sacks.
- Atlanta was a pick ’em in its last outing and the Over/Under was set at 44.5. The under cashed and Atlanta obviously failed to cover in the 18-12 loss to Philadelphia.
- In its last three matches, Atlanta is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in each of those three.
- Over its last three games, Carolina is 1-2 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- Carolina was favored by 3 points in its previous game and the O/U was 42. The under cashed and Carolina covered in the 16-8 victory over Dallas.