Madison Square Garden will be the site for a Metro Division matchup as the New York Rangers welcome the visiting Carolina Hurricanes. MSG Network will broadcast the game, and the action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 1.
Carolina Hurricanes at New York Rangers Odds
New York is 13-12 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. That early-season winning percentage is a slide from what the team recorded during last years regular season (48-34). Through 25 regular season matches, 15 of its games have gone over the total, while nine have gone under and just one has pushed. The team is 10-7 SU at home this season.
The Rangers have converted on 21.4 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is rated 15th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 80.5 percent of all penalties.
As a team, the Rangers have been penalized just 3.8 times per game overall this season, and 2.8 per game over their last five at home. The team has been forced to kill penalties for just 7.5 minutes per game over their last 10 outings, overall.
Averaging 27.0 saves per game with a .914 save percentage, Henrik Lundqvist (12-10-2) has been the best goalkeeper for the Broadway Blueshirts this season. If head coach Alain Vigneault chooses to rest him, however, the team could turn to Ondrej Pavelec (1-5-5 record, .889 save percentage, 3.56 goals against average).
The Broadway Blueshirts will continue to rely on offensive production out of Mika Zibanejad and Pavel Buchnevich. Zibanejad (22 points) is up to 11 goals and 11 assists and has recorded two or more points on five different occasions this year. Buchnevich has nine goals and 11 assists to his name and has notched a point in 13 games.
Carolina is 10-13 straight up (SU) and has lost 5.1 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. A total of 13 of its outings have gone over the total, while nine have gone under and just one has pushed. The Hurricanes are 5-6 SU as the visiting team this season.
The Hurricanes have converted on just 15.6 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the bottom- overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 23rd overall and it’s successfully killed off 77.8 percent of all opponent power plays.
Carolina’s players have been penalized only 2.5 times per game in total this season, 2.8 per game over their past five outings total, and 2.0 per game over their last five games as the visiting team. The teams had to defend opponent power plays just 5.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Scott Darling (2.66 goals against average and .905 save percentage) has been the primary option in goal for Carolina. Darling is averaging 24.8 saves per game and owns a 7-11-5 record.
For the visiting Hurricanes, the offense will run through Teuvo Teravainen (eight goals, 13 assists) and Sebastian Aho (five goals, 13 assists).
Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Rangers Free Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Hurricanes, O/U – Over
- Over New York’s last ten outings, seven of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 5-2 in those games).
- The Hurricanes are 4-1 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Rangers are 5-5 SU in games where they serve more minutes than their opponent.
- Two of Carolina’s last ten games have gone to a shootout. The team is 1-1 in those games and 2-3 overall in shootouts this season.
- The over has hit in three of New York’s last five games.
- New York skaters have averaged 16.4 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 15.2 giveaways per game (ranked 30th).
- Carolina is ranked 18th this season with 9.9 giveaways per game. That figure has trended upward recently, as the teams averaged 12.5 giveaways over its last 10 games and 14.6 giveaways over its last five.