The KeyBank Center is playing host an Eastern Conference showdown as the Carolina Hurricanes come into town to face the Buffalo Sabres. MSG Western New York will broadcast the game, which gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Buffalo Sabres Odds
Carolina is 12-18 straight up (SU) and has lost 7.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 30 regular season outings, 14 of its games have gone over the total, while another 14 have gone under and just two have pushed. The Canes are 6-11 SU as the road team in 2017-18.Carolina has converted on just 15.3 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s ranked 30th in the NHL. Its penalty kill is ranked 27th in the league, and the teams successfully killed off only 76.7 percent of all penalties.
The Canes, as a collective unit, have been called for penalties just 2.8 times per game this season, 2.4 per game over its last five contests total, and 2.4 per game over its last five on the road. The team has had to defend opponent power plays just 7.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Sporting a .899 save percentage and 23.8 saves per game, Scott Darling (7-15-6) has been the primary option in goal for Carolina this season. If head coach Bill Peters decides to rest him, however, the team could turn to Cam Ward (5-4-1), who has a .907 save percentage and 2.96 goals against average this year.
Teuvo Teravainen and Sebastian Aho will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Hurricanes. Teravainen (24 points) has tallied eight goals and 16 assists, and has recorded multiple points in six different games. Aho has seven goals and 14 assists to his credit, and has registered a point in 14 games.
On the other bench, Buffalo is 8-24 straight up (SU) and has lost 15.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 32 regular season matches, 17 of its games have gone under the total, while 11 have gone over and just three have pushed. It’s 4-10 SU as the home team this year.
The Sabres have converted on just 13.1 percent of their power play chances this season, a mark that places them in the bottom overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 14th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.8 percent of all opponent power plays.
Sabres players have been whistled for penalties only 3.7 times per game in total this season, and 2.8 per game over their last five home outings. The teams been forced to kill penalties 8.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Robin Lehner (26.4 saves per game) has been the top netminder in goal for the Sabres. Lehner has seven wins, 18 losses, and four overtime losses to his name and has registered a pedestrian 2.84 goals against average and a .911 save percentage this season.
Evander Kane (14 goals, 14 assists) will pace the offensive counter for the host team.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Buffalo Sabres Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Sabres, O/U – Under
- Six of Buffalo’s last ten contests have been decided by two or more goals, and the club is 2-4 overall in those games.
- The Sabres are 2-7 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 7-17 in games where they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total.
- Three of Carolina’s last ten games have ended in a shootout. The team is 2-1 in those games and 3-3 overall in shootouts this season.
- The total has gone under in three of Buffalo’s last five outings.
- Buffalo is ranked 6th this season with 7.4 giveaways per game. That figure has improved lately, however, as the teams averaged 5.6 giveaways over its last 10 games and 5.4 giveaways over its last five.
- Carolina has averaged 10.2 giveaways over its last five home games, right in line with its season average of 10.1 giveaways per game (ranked 18th in the league).
- The Sabres this season have recorded the ninth-most hits in the NHL (23.5 per game).