MAAC foes will collide when the Marist Red Foxes (5-17, 3-7 MAAC) go head-to-head against the Canisius Golden Griffins (13-9, 7-2 MAAC) at McCann Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147 points with Canisius set as a 7-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018.
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Marist Red Foxes Betting Preview
The Golden Griffins fell to the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last outing, 105-89. With 32 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Jermaine Crumpton was the games high scorer. Niagara did a great job of making free throws (28-32; 87.5 percent). Canisius, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 18.0).
In the Red Foxes last matchup, they beat the Manhattan Jaspers, 62-59. Marist was lifted by Ryan Funk, who was the teams leading scorer with 17 points on 5-for-9 shooting. The Red Foxes held the Jaspers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.6 (below their season average of 31.8) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.541 (above their season average of 0.529).
Contrasting tempos will be on display in this matchup. Marist prefers an up-tempo style of play (70th in possessions per game), while Canisius is slower-paced (236th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the upper-echelon offense of the Golden Griffins ranks 49th in effective field goal percentage (0.546), while the Red Foxes are 73rd-worst in the NCAA at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.527).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Canisius have finished under 60.0 percent of the time, while 56.3 percent of Marist games have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Golden Griffins have a substantial advantage. They are 13-9 SU and 13-6-1 ATS, while the Red Foxes are 5-17 SU and 8-8 ATS.
Takal Molson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Canisius, averaging 17.2 points and 3.2 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Golden Griffins won two out of three matchups last season. In the most recent contest, Canisius won 77-73. Canisius had a better turnover percentage (16.4 vs. 19.8). Marist, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (43.8 vs. 38.2).
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Marist Red Foxes Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Canisius, ATS Winner – Marist, O/U – Under
- The Red Foxes rank 222nd in rebounds per game (33.6) while the Golden Griffins rank 256th (32.4).
- Canisius ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Marist ranks 30th (2.5).
- Marist is 2-3 ATS at home, while Canisius is 6-5 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Golden Griffins 11 road games, while 3 of the Red Foxes 5 home games have gone over.
- Canisius ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while Marist ranks 238th (24.9).
- The Golden Griffins rank 18th in assists per game (17.3) while the Red Foxes rank 227th (11.8).
- Canisius ranks 38th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Marist ranks 175th (7.2).
- Marist is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Canisius is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Red Foxes average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.8, down from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Griffins have scored an average of 81.0 points per game (6.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.6 points per game (5.1 above their season average).