The Siena Saints (4-12, 0-3 MAAC) will attempt to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Canisius when they welcome the Golden Griffins (9-7, 3-0 MAAC) to Times Union Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141.5 points with Canisius set as a 4-point favorite. Action begins at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Siena Saints Odds Preview
The last time the Golden Griffins played, they beat the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 82-74. Isaiah Reese led Canisius in scoring with 20 points on 6-for-11 shooting. The Golden Griffins had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 19.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.553).
The Saints are hoping for a better outcome after their 84-76 loss to the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last game. Jordan Horn was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-13 shooting. Niagara had a much better free throw rate (0.270 vs. 0.085). Siena, meanwhile, held the Purple Eagles to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 31.3).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Canisius should have a substantial edge. The elite Golden Griffins offense ranks 43rd in the NCAA in that metric at 0.556, while the bottom-tier Siena defense is ranked 232nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.513).
Both of these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. Games including Canisius have finished under 64.3 percent of the time, while Siena games have finished under 62.5 percent of the time. The Golden Griffins come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-7 SU and 9-4-1 ATS, while the Saints are 4-12 SU and 3-5 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Griffins won both matchups last season. In the last contest, Canisius won 80-73. The Golden Griffins dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 and a turnover percentage of 14.6. For those same stats, the Saints were 26.7 and 17.5, respectively.
Canisius Golden Griffins at Siena Saints Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Canisius, ATS Winner – Siena, O/U – Under
- The Saints rank 139th in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Golden Griffins rank 231st (33.1).
- Canisius is 4-4 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Siena is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Canisius ranks 45th in assists per game (16.4) while Siena ranks 222nd (11.7).
- The Golden Griffins rank 47th in three pointers attempted per game (25.9) while the Saints rank 200th (19.3).
- Canisius ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while Siena ranks 103rd (3.6).
- Siena is 1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Canisius is 3-0-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Saints average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, down from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Griffins have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (4.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (2.0 below their season average).