MAAC foes will collide when the Manhattan Jaspers (9-9, 4-2 MAAC) go head-to-head with the Canisius Golden Griffins (11-8, 5-1 MAAC) at Draddy Gymnasium. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137.5 points with Canisius set as a 1-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018.
Canisius Golden Griffins at Manhattan Jaspers Odds Preview
The Golden Griffins were victorious over the Monmouth Hawks in their last outing, 94-79. With 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists, Isaiah Reese had a solid outing for Canisius. Canisius dominated every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (above their season average of 29.0) and a free throw rate of 0.593 (above their season average of 0.191). For those same stats, Monmouth was 18.2 and 0.434, respectively.
In the Jaspers last matchup, they topped the Siena Saints, 72-61. With 21 points on 10-for-19 shooting, Rich Williams was the games high scorer. The Jaspers forced 25 turnovers and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.526 vs. 0.476).
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Manhattan ranks 255th in possessions per game (68.4) and Canisius is 262nd (68.3). Additionally, the Golden Griffins rank 298th in turnover percentage (21.3 percent), while the Jaspers rank 19th in opponents turnover percentage (23.7 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Games featuring Canisius have finished under 64.7 percent of the time, while 68.8 percent of Manhattan games have finished under. The Golden Griffins have the better straight up (SU) record (11-8 vs. 9-9), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Canisius is 11-5-1 ATS, while Manhattan is 10-6 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Golden Griffins, it’s been Takal Molson, who has averaged 18.0 points and 7.4 rebounds, while the Jaspers have gotten great contributions from Williams (14.4 points and 1.6 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Golden Griffins won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Canisius won 78-64. Canisius launched 17 three pointers, making eight of them (47.1 percent). Manhattan was, meanwhile, just 3-18 (16.7 percent).
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Manhattan Jaspers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Canisius, ATS Winner – Canisius, O/U – Under
- The Golden Griffins rank 234th in rebounds per game (32.8) while the Jaspers rank 250th (31.9).
- Canisius ranks second in blocks allowed per game (1.8) while Manhattan ranks sixth (2.1).
- Manhattan is 3-1 ATS at home, while Canisius is 4-5 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 7 of the Golden Griffins 9 road games, while 3 of the Jaspers 4 home games have gone under.
- Canisius ranks 39th in three pointers attempted per game (25.9) while Manhattan ranks 220th (19.0).
- The Golden Griffins average 16.5 assists per game, which ranks 37th in the NCAA. The Jaspers rank 158th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Canisius ranks 135th in steals per game (5.8) while Manhattan ranks 176th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Manhattan is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Canisius is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Jaspers have outscored opponents by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Manhattan has lost by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Griffins have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (1.0 above their season average).