The Canisius Golden Griffins (12-8, 6-1 MAAC) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Iona when they travel to Hynes Athletics Center to clash against the Gaels (12-7, 6-1 MAAC). Iona opened as a 5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 149 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018.
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Iona Gaels ATS Preview
In the Golden Griffins last outing, they beat the Manhattan Jaspers, 68-59. Isaiah Reese was the games high scorer with 22 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Canisius played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 18.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 29.2). For those same stats, Manhattan had marks of 27.0 and 28.0, respectively.
The Gaels hope to keep it rolling after barely hanging on to beat the Monmouth Hawks in their last contest, 76-73. Iona rallied around TK Edogi, who had 12 points and nine rebounds. Iona dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 17.6 (worse than their season average of 15.5) and a free throw rate of 0.259 (above their season average of 0.210). Monmouth was 22.2 and 0.218, respectively, for those same stats.
The elite offense of Canisius (56th in the NCAA with an effective field goal percentage 0.547) will square off against the mid-tier defense of Iona (248th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.517). The Golden Griffins figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Both of these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Games including Canisius have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Iona games have finished under. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (12-8 for Canisius; 12-7 for Iona), but the Golden Griffins have the edge against the spread (ATS). Canisius is 12-5-1 ATS, while the Gaels are 9-5-1.
Takal Molson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Canisius, averaging 18.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 163 points, which was over the projected point total of 151. The Golden Griffins won 85-78, covering as 1-point underdogs. One of Canisius largest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 19-22 (86.4 percent), while the Gaels were just 13-24 (54.2 percent). Molson was a standout player in the game, putting up 21 points and nine rebounds.
Canisius Golden Griffins at Iona Gaels Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Canisius, O/U – Under
- The Gaels rank 207th in rebounds per game (34.3) while the Golden Griffins rank 256th (32.7).
- Iona allows the 29th-fewest steals per game (5.2) while Canisius ranks 49th (5.5).
- Canisius is 5-5 ATS on the road with 8 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Iona is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- Canisius ranks 31st in assists per game (16.8) while Iona ranks 165th in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- The Golden Griffins rank 21st in three pointers allowed per game (18.1) while the Gaels rank 86th (20.6).
- Canisius ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Iona ranks 61st (3.0).
- Iona is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Canisius is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Griffins have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (2.3 below their season average).