Pac-12 foes will collide when the Washington State Cougars (8-8, 0-4 Pac-12) take on the California Golden Bears (7-10, 1-3 Pac-12) at Wallis Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
California Golden Bears vs. Washington State Cougars Betting Preview
In the Golden Bears last game, they fell to the Washington Huskies, 66-56. California’s Justice Sueing had a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 27 points on 11-for-16 shooting. Washington had a free throw rate of 0.295 (above their season average of 0.281). California, meanwhile, held the Huskies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.7 (below their season average of 31.6).
The Cougars are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-70 loss to the Stanford Cardinal in their last contest. Malachi Flynn was Washington State’s high scorer with 24 points on 7-for-21 shooting. Stanford had a better free throw rate (0.269 vs. 0.172). Washington State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.4 (above their season average of 23.8).
Washington State appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Cougars currently rank 64th in effective field goal percentage (0.545), while California ranks 312th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.540). Additionally, the Golden Bears, who rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.294), will face a tough challenge against the Cougars, who rank 34th in opponents FTA rate (0.181).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Bears won the lone contest last season, 58-54. The Golden Bears dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.235 and a turnover percentage of 10.5. For those same stats, the Cougars were 0.073 and 16.2, respectively.
California Golden Bears vs. Washington State Cougars Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – California, ATS Winner – California, O/U – Under
- The Golden Bears rank 122nd in rebounds per game (36.6) while the Cougars rank 196th in rebounds allowed per game (36.9).
- Washington State ranks 49th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while California ranks 100th (6.4).
- Washington State ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (30.6) while California ranks 276th (14.7).
- The Cougars rank 86th in assists per game (14.9) while the Golden Bears rank 227th (11.0).
- California ranks 20th in blocks per game (5.5) while Washington State ranks 157th (2.4).
- The Cougars average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Bears have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 86.6 points per game (6.1 above their season average).