The No. 25 USC Trojans (16-6, 7-2 Pac-12) will attempt to lengthen their five-game winning streak against the struggling California Golden Bears (7-14, 1-7 Pac-12) at Galen Center. USC opened as an 18.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 149 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
California Golden Bears vs. USC Trojans Free Preview
In the Golden Bears last outing, they were beaten by the UCLA Bruins, 70-57. Justice Sueing had a good performance for California, leading both teams in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-17 shooting. UCLA did a terrific job of making free throws (25-32; 78.1 percent). California, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.2 (above their season average of 34.6).
The Trojans hope to maintain momentum after beating the Stanford Cardinal in their last game, 69-64. Chimezie Metu was a key piece for USC with 12 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. USC’s 9.3 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Stanford, who had a rate of 21.5. The Trojans mark was better than their season average of 13.8, while the Cardinal’s was above their season average of 18.3.
USC could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense squares off against one of the nations worst defenses. The Trojans rank 33rd in offensive efficiency, while California ranks 322nd in defensive efficiency.
Of California’s 18 games that accepted bets, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of USC’s 21 games have finished under the projected point total. The Trojans hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-6 SU and 13-8-1 ATS, while the Golden Bears are 7-14 SU and 7-11 ATS.
Sueing has been impressive over the last five games for California, averaging 18.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 142 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 153. The Trojans won 80-62, covering as 6.5-point favorites. The Trojans dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.9 and a free throw rate of 0.215. For those same stats, the Golden Bears recorded marks of 25.8 and 0.155, respectively. Nick Rakocevic was the games top overall scorer with 19 points.
California Golden Bears vs. USC Trojans Betting Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – USC, ATS Winner – USC, O/U – Under
- The Trojans rank 22nd in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Golden Bears rank 91st (6.0).
- On the road, California is 4-3 ATS with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- USC is 5-6-1 ATS at home with 5 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- USC ranks 35th in assists per game (16.5) while California ranks 262nd (10.7).
- The Trojans rank 132nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while the Golden Bears rank 279th (15.2).
- USC averages 4.5 blocks per game, which ranks 44th in the NCAA. California ranks 125th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- USC is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, California is 2-3 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Trojans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 8.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Bears have scored an average of 59.4 points per game (12.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (5.0 below their season average).