Pac-12 foes will collide when the Stanford Cardinal (6-7) take on the California Golden Bears (6-7) at Maples Pavilion. Stanford opened as a 7-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 147 points. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
California Golden Bears at Stanford Cardinal Odds Preview
In the Golden Bears last outing, they lost big to the Portland State Vikings, 106-81. California’s Marcus Lee put together a good performance, putting up 15 points and nine rebounds. Portland State had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 14.6). California, on the other hand, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (31-43; 72.1 percent).
The Cardinal are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-54 loss to the No. 14 Kansas Jayhawks in their last outing. Michael Humphrey led Stanford in scoring with 20 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Kansas held the Cardinal to an effective field goal percentage of 0.393 (below their season average of 0.520). Stanford, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.9 vs. 27.3).
The physical Stanford offense seems poised to dominate from the free throw line. The Cardinal currently rank 27th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.308, while California ranks 182nd in FTA rate allowed (0.232).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. California games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while 69.2 percent of games including Stanford have finished under. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (6-7 for California; 6-7 for Stanford), but the Golden Bears have the edge against the spread (ATS). California is 4-6 ATS, while the Cardinal are 3-9-1.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent contest, the Cardinal won 73-68. One of Stanford’s biggest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They made 40 trips to the line, while California went just 10 times.
California Golden Bears vs. Stanford Cardinal Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Stanford, ATS Winner – Stanford, O/U – Under
- The Cardinal rank 237th in three pointers attempted per game (18.5) while the Golden Bears rank 281st (14.0).
- Stanford averages 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 70th in the NCAA. California ranks 93rd in rebounds allowed per game (33.8).
- California is 2-1 ATS on the road with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Stanford is 3-5-1 ATS at home with 6 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- California ranks 11th in blocks per game (6.2) while Stanford ranks 121st (3.2).
- The Cardinal rank 166th in assists per game (12.9) while the Golden Bears rank 227th (10.8).
- California averages 6.7 steals per game, which ranks 92nd in the nation. Stanford ranks 148th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Stanford is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, California is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Cardinal have outscored opponents by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Stanford has been defeated by an average of 1.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Bears have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.4 points per game (2.3 above their season average).