Two of the most frequently-penalized clubs in the league, the Calgary Flames and the Washington Capitals clash at Capital One Arena in an East-West showdown. The action gets started at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, November 20, and it can be watched live on Sportsnet West.
Calgary Flames vs. Washington Capitals Odds
Calgary (+125) is currently the underdog to Washington (-145) and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals. The line for betting that total stands at -120 over, +100 under.
Washington is 11-10 straight up (SU) and has lost 0.7 units for moneyline bettors this year. That early-season winning percentage is a regression from the 55-27 record that the team posted during the 2016-17 season campaign. Among its 21 games this season, 11 have gone over the total, while 10 have gone under and none have pushed. Thus far, the teams 6-3 SU at home.
The Capitals have converted on 20.8 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that places them in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and theyve successfully killed off 77.6 percent of all penalties.
The Capitals, as a collective unit, have been penalized 5.0 times per game overall this season, and 3.8 per game over their last five contests home outings. The team has been forced to kill penalties for 9.4 minutes per game over their last five home outings.
Sporting a .921 save percentage and 28.8 saves per game, Braden Holtby (11-4) has been the best option in goal for Washington this year. If Washington chooses to give him the night off, however, it might turn to the winless Philipp Grubauer (0-8-8 record, .876 save percentage, 3.86 goals against average).
Evgeny Kuznetsov and Alex Ovechkin will each lead the charge for the Capitals. Kuznetsov (23 points) has tallied five goals and 18 assists and has recorded two or more points in five different games this year. Ovechkin has 13 goals and seven assists to his credit and has recorded a point in 11 contests.
Over on the other bench, Calgary is 11-8 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 1.4 units this season. Through 19 regular season matches, 11 of its games have gone over the total, while seven have gone under and just one has pushed. The Flames are 5-3 SU as an away team this season.
The Flames have converted on 20.6 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure thats right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 32nd overall and its successfully defended 70.6 percent of all penalties.
Calgarys skaters have been penalized 4.5 times per game this season, and 6.4 per game over their last five on the road. The teams been forced to defend opponent power plays an unhealthy 19.6 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Mike Smith (.919 save percentage and 2.71 goals against average) has been the primary option in goal for Calgary. Smith is averaging 29.5 saves per game and has 11 wins and six losses to his credit.
For the visiting Flames, the offense will run through Johnny Gaudreau, who has 20 assists and nine goals this season.
Calgary Flames at Washington Capitals Free Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Capitals, O/U – Over
- Penalties and power plays may prove to be critical in the outcome of this matchup. The Flames are 8-3 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 7-5 when they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total. The Capitals are 4-1 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 5-2 in games where theyre in the box for less than 10 minutes.
- Washington is 2-0 in games decided by a shootout this season while Calgary is 2-0 in shootouts.
- The total has gone under in three of Washingtons last five outings.
- Washington is ranked 19th this season with 10.0 giveaways per game. That figure has regressed lately, as its averaged 11.4 giveaways over its last 10 games and 13.4 giveaways over its last five.
- Calgary skaters have averaged 8.2 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.2 giveaways per game (ranked 20th overall).