The Calgary Flames hope to tie the series up at the Pepsi Center in Game 4 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals. NBC Sports Network will showcase the game, and the puck drops at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 17.
Calgary Flames at Colorado Avalanche Odds
The Flames (-115) are being picked as the favorites over the Avalanche (-105), and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-110 over, -110 under).
Calgary is 51-34 straight up (SU) and has earned 3.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 85 regular season matches, 42 of its games have gone over the total, while 39 have gone under and just four have pushed. This 2018-19 Flames team is 24-18 SU on the road.
The Flames’ offensive skaters attempted 32.3 shots per game in the regular season, leading to 3.5 goals per contest (ranked second overall in the NHL). In the playoffs, the club is attempting an average of 32.7 shots on goal and down to 2.7 goals per game.
After accounting for the 17th-rated power-play unit in the regular season (scoring on 19.3 percent of all opportunities), the Flames have connected on 25.0 percent of their power plays in the early stages of these playoffs.
Averaging 24.9 saves per game with a .911 save percentage, David Rittich (28-17-5) has been the primary option in goal for Calgary this year. If Calgary chooses to rest him, however, the team might roll with Mike Smith (25-20-3), who has a .901 save percentage and 2.73 goals against average this year.
On the other side of the ice, Colorado is 40-45 straight up (SU) and has lost 11.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 85 regular season matches, 43 of its games have gone under the total, while 41 have gone over and just one has pushed. This year, the team is 22-20 SU at home.
The Avalanche have converted on 21.5 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that’s good enough for seventh-best in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 25th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 78.5 percent of all penalties.
Semyon Varlamov (27.8 saves per game) has been the top option in the crease for the Avalanche. Varlamov has 20 wins, 29 losses, and nine overtime losses to his name and has registered a subpar .909 save percentage and 2.87 goals against average this season.
Calgary Flames at Colorado Avalanche Free Picks
Pick: SU Winner – Avalanche, O/U – Over
- The under has hit in four of Calgary’s last five outings.
- Calgary has managed 28.8 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Colorado is averaging 36.0 shots per game over its last five home outings.
- Calgary skaters created 20.0 hits per game last season, while the Avalanche logged 20.4 hits per matchup.