Facing each other for the third and final time this season, the Calgary Flames and the Chicago Blackhawks face off at the United Center for a Western Conference showdown. The opening face-off takes place at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, and you’ll be able to watch it live on Sportsnet West.
Calgary Flames at Chicago Blackhawks Odds
Chicago (-115) is currently the favorite over Calgary (-105) and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals. The odds for betting that total stand at -110 money on the over and -110 for the under.
Calgary is 26-26 straight up (SU) and has lost 5.0 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 52 regular season matches, 27 of its games have gone under the total, while 24 have gone over and just one has pushed. As the road team this season, the Flames are 13-10 SU.
Calgary has converted on just 17.3 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked 18th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 80.0 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, Calgary has been whistled for penalties 4.2 times per game this season, and 6.0 per game over its last five road outings. The teams had to stave off opponent power plays an unhealthy 13.8 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Averaging 28.9 saves per game with a .922 save percentage, Mike Smith (22-22-6) has been the top option in goal for Calgary this season. If head coach Glen Gulutzan chooses to rest him, however, the team may turn to David Rittich (4-4-2 record, .926 save percentage, 2.23 goals against average).
Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan will both be relied on to facilitate things for the visiting Flames. Gaudreau has 59 points via 16 goals and 43 assists, and has recorded two or more points in 17 different games. Monahan has 24 goals and 21 assists to his name (and has registered a point in 29 games).
On the other side of the ice, Chicago is 24-28 straight up (SU) and has lost 8.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 52 regular season matches, 27 of its games have gone under the total, while 23 have gone over and just two have pushed. The team is 12-13 SU at home this season.
Chicago has converted on just 15.5 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that places it in the bottom overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 13th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.8 percent of all penalties.
Chicago players have been sent to the penalty box only 3.6 times per game in total this season, and 2.0 per game over their last five match ups. The teams been forced to kill penalties just 7.0 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Corey Crawford has denied 27.9 shots per game as the primary option in goal for Chicago. Crawford has 16 wins, 12 losses, and two overtime losses to his name and has recorded a .929 save percentage and 2.27 goals against average this year.
Patrick Kane (20 goals, 32 assists) will pace the offensive attack for the Blackhawks.
Calgary Flames at Chicago Blackhawks Betting Predictions
Free Pick: SU Winner – Blackhawks, O/U – Under
- The over has hit in three of Chicago’s last five outings.
- This game features two clubs that fire the puck on goal a lot. Calgary has taken the leagues ninth-most shots on goal (33.0) and Chicago has attempted the fourth-most (34.2).
- The Flames are 9-12 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Blackhawks are 4-7 SU in games where they spend more time in the box than their opponent.
- Two of Calgary’s last ten games have gone to a shootout. The team is 0-2 in those games and 2-5 overall in shootouts this season.
- Chicago is ranked 14th with 7.5 takeaways per game. That figures trended lower recently, however, as the team has averaged 6.8 takeaways over its last 10 games and 6.6 takeaways over its last five.
- Calgary skaters have created 7.2 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 8.5 takeaways per game (ranked sixth in the NHL).