The No. 15 Cal State Fullerton Titans (20-11), 20.5-point underdogs, go head-to-head against the No. 2 Purdue Boilermakers (28-6) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at Little Caesars Arena. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 144.5 points and it is scheduled to start at 12:40 p.m. ET on Friday, March 16, 2018.
Cal State Fullerton Titans vs. Purdue Boilermakers Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Boilermakers were beaten by the 15th-ranked Michigan Wolverines, 75-66, while the Titans were victorious over the UC Irvine Anteaters, 71-55.
Cal State Fullerton played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 18.4) and a free throw rate of 0.281 (matching their season average). For those same stats, UC Irvine was 14.1 and 0.197, respectively. Purdue, meanwhile, held Michigan to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.2 (below their season average of 26.3). Isaac Haas had a good game for Purdue, putting up 23 points and eight rebounds. Cal State Fullerton was led by Kyle Allman Jr., who finished with 26 points and six rebounds.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, this will be a balanced game. The upper-echelon Purdue offense ranks fifth in the nation in that metric at 0.581, while the elite Cal State Fullerton defense is ranked 36th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.472). Also, the Titans, who rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.320), will battle against the Boilermakers, who rank third in opponents’ FTA rate (0.161).
Carsen Edwards has been on fire recently for Purdue, averaging 27.6 points, 3.8 assists and 1.6 steals over the last five games.
Cal State Fullerton Titans vs. Purdue Boilermakers Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Cal State Fullerton, O/U – Under
- Purdue ranks 114th in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while Cal State Fullerton ranks 298th (15.5).
- The Boilermakers rank 34th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Titans rank 75th (5.6).
- Purdue ranks 50th in rebounds allowed per game (32.5) while Cal State Fullerton ranks 82nd (33.2).
- The Boilermakers rank 18th in assists per game (16.7) while the Titans rank 199th (12.8).
- Purdue ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Cal State Fullerton ranks 151st (3.6).
- The Boilermakers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 15.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Titans have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (5.0 below their season average).