The Cal Poly Mustangs (4-7) and the SMU Mustangs (9-3), who both like to play patient, will battle at Moody Coliseum. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Cal Poly Mustangs at SMU Mustangs ATS Preview
The last time Cal Poly played, they lost big to the Princeton Tigers, 80-60. Luke Meikle had a good performance for Cal Poly, leading both teams in scoring with 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Princeton had an effective field goal percentage of 0.643 (above their season average of 0.531). Cal Poly, on the other hand, held Princeton to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 23.0).
SMU will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the Boise State Broncos in its last game, 86-63. SMU rallied around Ethan Chargois, who was the teams high scorer with 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting. SMU had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.688 vs. 0.459), while Boise State had a free throw rate of 0.115 (below their season average of 0.219).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Cal Poly have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while SMU games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time. SMU has the better straight up (SU) record (9-3 vs. 4-7), but Cal Poly holds the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (5-4 vs. 3-3).
Cal Poly Mustangs at SMU Mustangs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – SMU, ATS Winner – Cal Poly, O/U – Over
- SMU ranks 70th in blocks per game (4.0) while Cal Poly ranks 138th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Cal Poly is 33rd in the NCAA with 5.3 steals allowed per game while SMU is 52nd with 5.7 steals allowed per game.
- SMU ranks 12th in assists per game (18.4) while Cal Poly ranks 161st (13.1).
- Cal Poly ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (17.6) while SMU ranks 140th (22.1).
- SMU ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while Cal Poly ranks 110th (34.3).
- SMU’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.6, down from 15.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, Cal Poly has scored an average of 66.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (6.4 above their season average).