The Cal Poly Mustangs (8-16, 3-7 BigWst) will attempt to put an end to a 10-game road losing streak when they clash against the Long Beach State 49ers (12-14, 6-4 BigWst) at The Walter Pyramid. Long Beach State is a 9.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 151.5 points. Tip-off is set for 11 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Cal Poly Mustangs at Long Beach State 49ers Betting Preview
In the Mustangs last outing, they fell to the Cal State Fullerton Titans, 75-59. Donovan Fields put together a good game for Cal Poly, finishing with 15 points and eight assists. One of Cal State Fullerton’s largest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 16-19 (84.2 percent), while the Mustangs were 10-12 (83.3 percent).
The 49ers are hoping for a better outcome after their 105-104 loss to the UC Davis Aggies in their last game. Gabe Levin was the top scorer from either team with 45 points on 10-for-20 shooting. UC Davis had a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 18.0). Long Beach State, on the other hand, held the Aggies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.5 (below the 31.7 mark opponents have averaged against Long Beach State this season).
It will be a matchup of opposite paces as the up-and-down 49ers (ranked 50th in the NCAA in possessions per game) will look to push the more half-court-oriented Mustangs (282nd in possessions per game).
Both of these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Cal Poly games have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while games involving Long Beach State have finished over 58.3 percent of the time. The 49ers hold a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-14 SU and 11-13 ATS, while the Mustangs are 8-16 SU and 7-13-1 ATS.
Levin has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Long Beach State, averaging 19.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 158 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 150. The 49ers won 87-71, but were unable to cover as 0-point underdogs. The 49ers played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 and a turnover percentage of 10.3. For those same stats, the Mustangs were 12.5 and 18.7, respectively. Levin was the games top overall scorer with 21 points.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. Long Beach State 49ers Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Long Beach State, ATS Winner – Long Beach State, O/U – Over
- The 49ers rank 77th in blocks per game (3.8) while the Mustangs rank 139th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Cal Poly ranks 180th in steals per game (5.3) while Long Beach State ranks 216th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Cal Poly is 4-8-1 ATS on the road, while Long Beach State is 3-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Mustangs 13 road games, while 5 of the 49ers 8 home games have gone over.
- Cal Poly ranks 112th in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while Long Beach State ranks 281st (17.1).
- The 49ers rank 131st in rebounds per game (35.8) while the Mustangs rank 256th (32.5).
- Cal Poly ranks 149th in assists allowed per game (13.7) while Long Beach State ranks 241st (15.8).
- Long Beach State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cal Poly is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The 49ers have outscored opponents by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Long Beach State has lost by an average of 4.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 67.0 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average).