The Cal Poly Mustangs (6-12, 1-3 BigWst) can snap a seven-game road losing streak when they take on the CSUN Matadors (4-14, 1-3 BigWst) at Matadome. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 132.5 points with Cal Poly opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. CSUN Matadors Odds Preview
The last time the Mustangs played, they were beaten by the UC Irvine Anteaters, 80-73. With 24 points on 8-for-18 shooting, Josh Martin was the game’s leading scorer. UC Irvine held the Mustangs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.2 (below their season average of 26.5). Cal Poly, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (14-20; 70.0 percent).
The Matadors will look to keep it rolling after beating the UC Riverside Highlanders in their last contest, 66-57. CSUN rallied around Tavrion Dawson, who was the top scorer from either team with 18 points on 6-for-15 shooting. The Matadors had a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 16.0) and held the Highlanders to an effective field goal percentage of 0.377 (below their season average of 0.459).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nation’s slowest-paced teams battle. CSUN ranks 303rd in possessions per game (67.1) and Cal Poly is 282nd (67.8). The Mustangs should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 43rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent). Conversely, the Matadors force the 44th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents’ turnover percentage of 16.7 percent).
Dawson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for CSUN, averaging 18.0 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Mustangs won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Cal Poly won 76-70. The Mustangs played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.453 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4. For those same stats, the Matadors were 0.293 and 23.7, respectively.
Cal Poly Mustangs at CSUN Matadors Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cal Poly, ATS Winner – Cal Poly, O/U – Under
- The Mustangs are 40th in the NCAA with 5.4 steals allowed per game while the Matadors are 54th with 5.6 steals allowed per game.
- Cal Poly ranks 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while CSUN ranks 268th (16.3).
- The Mustangs rank 76th in blocks per game (3.9) while the Matadors rank 132nd in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Xal Poly ranks 213th in rebounds per game (33.4) while CSUN ranks 239th (32.3).
- The Matadors average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 6.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (5.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average).