The UT Arlington Mavericks (8-4) will be at home in College Park Center when they go head-to-head against the Cal Poly Mustangs (4-8). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147 points with UT Arlington set as a 15.5-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Free Preview
In the Mustangs last game, they got blown out by the SMU Mustangs, 84-64. Cal Poly’s Josh Martin recorded eight points and seven rebounds in the contest. SMU had a free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.228). Cal Poly, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.3 vs. 13.7).
The Mavericks are hoping for a better outcome after their 90-81 loss to the No. 25 Creighton Bluejays in their last contest. Kevin Hervey led UT Arlington in scoring with 24 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Creighton’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over UT Arlington. The Bluejays had a rate of 0.217 (below their season average of 0.219), while the Mavericks posted a mark of 0.085 (below their season average of 0.216).
Contrasting paces will be on display in this meeting. UT Arlington has preferred to play fast (51st in possessions per game), while Cal Poly has been slower-paced (325th in possessions per game).
Games including these teams have typically finished over the projected point total. Cal Poly games have gone over 70.0 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of UT Arlington games have gone over. The Mavericks come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-4 SU and 6-3 ATS, while the Mustangs are 4-8 SU and 5-5 ATS.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – Cal Poly, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank 10th in blocks allowed per game (1.9) while the Mustangs rank 125th (3.9).
- UT Arlington ranks 65th in rebounds per game (38.6) while Cal Poly ranks 126th in rebounds allowed per game (34.7).
- Cal Poly ranks 30th in three pointers allowed per game (18.5) while UT Arlington ranks 245th (26.4).
- The Mustangs rank 33rd in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Mavericks rank 171st (7.8).
- UT Arlington ranks 27th in assists per game (17.6) while Cal Poly ranks 147th (13.6).
- The Mavericks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average).