The Cal Poly Mustangs (8-15, 3-6 BigWst) can put an end to a nine-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Cal State Fullerton Titans (12-9, 5-4 BigWst) at Titan Gym. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 144.5 points with Cal State Fullerton set as an 8.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. Cal State Fullerton Titans ATS Preview
The last time the Mustangs played, they beat the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, 78-64. With 12 points, six rebounds and five assists, Victor Joseph played well for Cal Poly. Cal Poly dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.192) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 (above their season average of 24.6). Hawaii had marks of 0.098 and 16.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Titans are hoping for a better outcome after their 63-58 loss to the UC Irvine Anteaters in their last matchup. With 16 points and seven rebounds, Austen Awosika had a solid game for Cal State Fullerton. UC Irvine had a better offensive rebounding percentage (30.6 vs. 25.6). Cal State Fullerton, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 13.0 (better than their season average of 18.9).
The aggressive Cal State Fullerton offense might be getting to the foul line a lot in this showdown. The Titans rank second in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.326, while Cal Poly ranks 256th in FTA rate allowed (0.259).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Cal Poly games have finished over 70.0 percent of the time, while 70.6 percent of games including Cal State Fullerton have finished under. The Titans come into this game with a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-9 SU and 10-7 ATS, while the Mustangs are 8-15 SU and 7-12-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 198 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 139.5. The Titans won 101-97, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Titans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.419 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1. For those same stats, the Mustangs were 0.219 and 20.9, respectively. Joseph was the top overall scorer in the game with 33 points.
Cal Poly Mustangs vs. Cal State Fullerton Titans Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Cal State Fullerton, ATS Winner – Cal State Fullerton, O/U – Under
- Cal Poly is 4-7-1 ATS on the road, while Cal State Fullerton is 3-3 ATS at home.
- In 12 road games, the Mustangs have 6 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- In 6 home games, the Titans have 5 unders and 1 over.
- Cal Poly ranks 96th in three pointers attempted per game (23.5) while Cal State Fullerton ranks 276th (16.3).
- The Titans rank 163rd in rebounds per game (35.1) while the Mustangs rank 250th (32.7).
- Cal Poly averages 3.7 blocks per game, which ranks 83rd in the NCAA. Cal State Fullerton ranks 152nd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Cal State Fullerton is 1-4 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cal Poly is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Titans have been outscored by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Cal State Fullerton has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (1.7 above their season average).