The Cal Poly Mustangs (1-2) and the Santa Clara Broncos (1-1), who both like to play slow, will face off at Leavey Center. Santa Clara opened as a 10-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 137 points. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 18, 2017.
Cal Poly Mustangs at Santa Clara Broncos ATS Preview
In the Mustangs last game, they had no trouble getting past the Holy Names Hawks, 76-47. With 10 points and 11 rebounds, Cal Polys Hank Hollingsworth put together a solid game. Cal Poly played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.113 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.556. For those same stats, Holy Names had marks of 0.015 and 0.338, respectively.
The Broncos are trying to rebound after their 93-63 loss to the Nevada Wolf Pack in their last game. Henry Caruso was Santa Claras leading scorer with 18 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Nevada had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.4 vs. 21.4). Santa Clara, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.136 vs. 0.091).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NCAAs slowest-paced teams face off. Santa Clara ranks 337th in possessions per game (64.9) and Cal Poly is 297th (66.9) since the 2016-17 season. Moreover, the Mustangs, who rank 286th in offensive rebounding percentage (26.3 percent), will face off against the Broncos, who rank 35th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
The Mustangs are 12-22 straight up (SU) and 12-17 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Just over half of Cal Poly games have finished over the projected point total since last season.
The Broncos, meanwhile, are 18-17 SU and 15-16-1 ATS since last season. Vegas has been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Santa Clara games over that same period with 17 unders compared to 15 overs.
Cal Poly Mustangs at Santa Clara Broncos ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Santa Clara, ATS Winner – Cal Poly, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mustangs rank 45th in three pointers attempted per game (24.7) while the Broncos rank 15th in three pointers allowed per game (17.5).
- Santa Clara leads the NCAA with 3.8 steals allowed per game while Cal Poly is 25th with 4.9 steals allowed per game.
- Santa Clara ranks 103rd in assists per game (14.4) while Cal Poly ranks 303rd (10.9).
- The Mustangs rank 113th in blocks per game (3.6) while the Broncos rank 273rd (2.0).
- Santa Clara ranks 103rd in rebounds allowed per game (34.0) while Cal Poly ranks 237th (37.1).