WCC foes will collide when the Santa Clara Broncos (6-11, 3-2 WCC) go head-to-head with the BYU Cougars (14-4, 3-2 WCC) at Leavey Center. BYU opened as a 9-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 131 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
BYU Cougars vs. Santa Clara Broncos Betting Preview
The last time the Cougars played, they easily got past the Pepperdine Waves, 83-63. With 21 points, 12 rebounds and six assists, BYU’s Yoeli Childs put together a solid outing. BYU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.375 (above their season average of 0.308) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (better than their season average of 16.0). For those same stats, Pepperdine had marks of 0.160 and 22.3, respectively.
The Broncos are trying to rebound after their 81-57 loss to the Saint Mary’s Gaels in their last game. KJ Feagin was the games high scorer with 19 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Saint Mary’s forced the Broncos into a turnover percentage of 18.7 (above their season average of 15.3). Santa Clara, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Santa Clara currently ranks 322nd in possessions per game (66.6) and BYU is 290th (67.7).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. BYU games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 64.3 percent of games including Santa Clara have gone over. The Cougars come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-4 SU and 7-8 ATS, while the Broncos are 6-11 SU and 3-11 ATS.
Elijah Bryant has taken his game to another level over the last five games for BYU, averaging 18.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Broncos won 76-68. Santa Clara was lights out from beyond the arc (14-31; 45.2 percent). BYU, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 17.2).
BYU Cougars vs. Santa Clara Broncos Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Under
- The Broncos rank 40th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Cougars rank 75th (5.9).
- BYU ranks 63rd in blocks per game (4.2) while Santa Clara ranks 92nd in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Santa Clara is 2-7 ATS at home, while BYU is 3-4 ATS on the road.
- The Cougars have gone under in all 7 of their road games.
- Of the Broncos 9 home games, they have 7 overs and 2 unders.
- BYU averages 15.7 assists per game, which ranks 60th in the NCAA. Santa Clara ranks 235th in assists allowed per game (17.4).
- The Broncos rank 73rd in three pointers attempted per game (24.6) while the Cougars rank 234th (18.5).
- BYU ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (30.7) while Santa Clara ranks 99th (33.9).
- Santa Clara is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, BYU is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average).