WCC foes will collide when the No. 14 Gonzaga Bulldogs (20-4, 10-1 WCC) meet the BYU Cougars (18-6, 7-4 WCC) at McCarthey Athletic Center. Gonzaga opened as an 11-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
BYU Cougars at Gonzaga Bulldogs Odds Preview
The last time the Cougars played, they lost to the Loyola Marymount Lions, 76-69. BYU’s Yoeli Childs had a solid game, recording 15 points and 13 rebounds. Loyola Marymount had a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 17.5). BYU, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.509 vs. 0.483).
The Bulldogs will look to keep it rolling after beating the San Diego Toreros in their last game, 69-59. With 14 points on 6-for-12 shooting, Johnathan Williams led Gonzaga in scoring. Gonzaga dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.0 (above their season average of 34.8) and a free throw rate of 0.213 (matching their season average). San Diego put up marks of 26.2 and 0.164, respectively, for those same stats.
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Bulldogs rank 32nd in offensive rebounding percentage (34.8 percent), while BYU ranks 12th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.2 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Cougars won the most recent game 79-71. BYU had a better effective field goal percentage (0.524 vs. 0.482). Gonzaga, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.281 vs. 0.226).
BYU Cougars vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs Free Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Gonzaga, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs average 16.7 assists per game, which ranks 35th in the nation. The Cougars rank 88th in assists allowed per game (12.5).
- Gonzaga allows the 26th-fewest blocks per game (2.5) while BYU ranks 51st (2.8).
- Gonzaga ranks 12th in rebounds per game (40.4) while BYU ranks 240th (32.9).
- The Bulldogs rank 53rd in three pointers attempted per game (25.2) while the Cougars rank 243rd (18.4).
- Gonzaga ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while BYU ranks 117th (6.3).
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, down from 18.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (1.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (2.5 above their season average).